Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here ever change stocks on your RC's to make them more accurate for historical purposes?

The problem arises from the serial number the Russians etched into the stock. Does swapping a stock on an RC for "historical purposes" effect collectable value?

Specifically, I bought a 660/1940 which would have a flat buttplate; however, the stock that was on it is a beautiful cupped buttplate. Thereafter, I bought a BNZ/43 Single Rune. The stock was a flat buttplate and not very pretty. I swapped them out because of the higher value of the BNZ.

Any thoughts?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,733 Posts
I think that it may be difficult to establish value benchmarks for the RC's for a while yet. I personally don't think that swapping parts out to make the rifle more like it was the day it was originally built will devalue the rifle very much if at all. As far as the serial stamp on the side of the stock goes, I have read that you can use steam to swell the wood back out to eliminate the stamp. Others have posted that "as refinished" RC's may be hard to find in the future because it seems that everybody is removing the shellac, swapping the parts, etc. to make their rifles more authentic. That may be true, but I don't see the value of RC's climbing all that much. The all original, numbers matching, vet bringback K98's are the true collector pieces whereas the RC's are shooters. Nothing against the RC's personally. My one and only K98 (for now) is an RC and I am glad I got it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is the oddballs. One guy not too long ago had an RC k98 with a straight bolt. You never know, you might find a GEW98 action with the s curve rear sight mated to a k98 stock by Ivan. Something like that might hold more value because of the curiosity factor.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I tend to leave them with what they came with. I can see your point, it just doesn't bother me to have them not correct. Just one more not correct thing on a RC. :)

But I do have a '45 dou in a semi-Kreig stock that doesn't match serials, but I bought it that way.

I think to each his own would apply here.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
One way to take care of the serial number in the stock problem is if the steaming the number out doesn't work, X them out. I've seen RC stocks where the numbers were X out like they were going to be used again on another rifle and I guess they never got around to it. I've seen RC stocks that had one and two numbers Xed out and the newer one stamped underneath. Get a large screwdriver and tap over the number in the shape of an X and to me that should be considered correct. Over time you'd never know. Maybe smear a little cosmoline in the X marks so it doesn't look as new.
BARQS19

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
I change them at will, if fact I loose them entirely and use non russian defaced stocks or at least the ones the the ruskies did not belt sand before the renumber job.
The thought of hanging a late war stock on an s/42 1936 receiver makes me cringe.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Import Marked parts guns are made for playing with. NIM mismatches and all matching are not. I started out swaping parts on VZ-24's and when the RC's came along it opened pandora's box. Regards Sunfish

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I'd swap out the stock, and hang onto the old one.

Eric

·
Registered
152 Posts
I swap them & like ErocOKC said "hand onto the old one". Often times I've been able to use them as well.

I do annotate in my computer what stock has gone to which barreled-receiver 98k. This way if I ever want to sell it I can let the individual who's buying it know what I've done.

Some will swap...some won't.

It's all about personal preference.

Take care........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts