Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I have several mkIII barrels to install on some receivers and wondering what type of barrel vice and wrench is suggested to tighten the threads. My concern is not to bugger up the metal finish too much leaving claw marks or damage to the receiver or barrel. Anyone experienced in installing these projects or at least know of any affordable gunsmithing products that will work on mkIII barrels? I have at least ten barrel changes in the near future and I'd rather buy my own equipment than have all sent to a gunsmith. thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Brownell's has a receiver wrench available with different top jaws.They have the correct one for the No.1 Lee Enfield.They also have barrel vises.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use the Brownells Wrench and it works just fine. IIRC, the Brit Enfield uses the small ring Mauser 'jaw' over the top of the receiver ring and an Enfield adaptor plate underneath to give clearence for the receiver lug to the wrench. Cinched up tight with a piece of shim stock brass inbetween the top jaw and the ring will prevent any maring of the surfaces. Plenty of rosen on the barrel jaws while in the vise is a must along with close fitting jaws. I pour mine from bullet metal lead right to the barrel in 1/2's. A 4ft pipe over the wrench helps to persuade the receiver to be put gently back into place (or removed). You may want to invest in a set of headspace gauges also to check after your installations to insure the safety of the work. The barrels will most likely easily interchange as the threads are indexed for that but should still be checked for proper headspace afterwards before fireing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts