Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a rifle scheduled to be here today by USPS. But I've checked both addresses and it isn't at either. What now? We had done a change of address already but my C&R had/has my old address on it.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says out for delivery but the post office has delivered already at both locations

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,687 Posts
I am pretty sure you can not use your firearms license for purchases until you have the revised address on the license which means you submit the old one and get a revised license. It is pretty clear in the regulations. To comply the seller should be sending it to the address on the license. I could be wrong but if you read the regulation it is pretty clear. Plus if it was insured for over $200 the post office is going to require a signature for delivery.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,546 Posts
I am pretty sure you can not use your firearms license for purchases until you have the revised address on the license which means you submit the old one and get a revised license. It is pretty clear in the regulations. To comply the seller should be sending it to the address on the license. I could be wrong but if you read the regulation it is pretty clear. Plus if it was insured for over $200 the post office is going to require a signature for delivery.
You are correct. The address on the license is the ONLY address that the seller can send to to be in compliance. The buyer should not be using the license if the address listed is not correct. The OP is in violation of the law at this point, unless you purchased the rifle with the license before the move. You have to wait for the replacement. Well, I guess you don't have to, but staying out of trouble with the fed's is always a good idea.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the license before the wife submitted our address change. But what is going to happen with the rifle now? I know the people at the old address so the rifle is safe if it shows up there. Just wanting to know.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
it probably shows out for delivery because it is in transit because of your address change, if it doesn't show up call Monday and they can track it down.

I sent the license before the wife submitted our address change. But what is going to happen with the rifle now? I know the people at the old address so the rifle is safe if it shows up there. Just wanting to know.

·
None of your business.
17,546 Posts
Hurry up and wait.

I've had UPS ask for ID before dropping off. If USPS is the same, the rifle may get shipped back. Worst case scenario, but worth mentioning.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh great, it shows delivered at 1:30pm. Yet at 2pm it was at neither address and still isn't. Now what

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Post office? Did you put in a forwarding order for your mail to the new address? If so it should arrive there in a bit. It can take several days though.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post office? Did you put in a forwarding order for your mail to the new address? If so it should arrive there in a bit. It can take several days though.
The tracking page says delivered to my old zip code at 1:30pm on June 14, 2014. Doesn't give address just zipcode.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Who lives at your old address?
Sounds like they got it, if somebody signed -adult signature is required.
Any neighbors you know who can drop by and ask?
Also, the post office has responsibility if they didn't deliver to you as addressee, but good luck on that if the person who got it won't give it back.
It should have just been forwarded to you if you left a forwarding address.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
what address was on the license used? It should be your current residence as rocker pointed out. Big trouble with the ATF if the address on the license does not match your address of residence/shipment.

As SG pointed out was there a signature requirement?

·
None of your business.
17,546 Posts
If all it gives is a zip code, I'd check with the post office. I'm guessing though, I've never had any firearm shipped via USPS. If they DO have a change of address on file for you, they probably will not ship to the address listed.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,208 Posts
it probably shows out for delivery because it is in transit because of your address change, if it doesn't show up call Monday and they can track it down.
I have handguns show up when I was not there. The mailman would leave a slip saying that it would be available for pickup a the Post Office the next day. The next day I would go to the post office and get it. Was no big deal.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,208 Posts
The tracking page says delivered to my old zip code at 1:30pm on June 14, 2014. Doesn't give address just zipcode.
I had that happened to me once. The handgun showed up on Saturday when no one was there. I had expected it on Monday.

Monday afternoon, I checked the tracking page and it was stated that the handgun was delivered on Saturday. Went to the Post Office and was told that it was delivered on Saturday. I asked how since the work place was closed and no one was there. Went round and round for two days. Finally told them that if I did not have it by the next morning, I was going to call ATF and report the handgun as stolen.

I have a post office box which I check daily. The next morning, on my way to the window to inquire about the handgun, I checked my post office box and there was a slip saying that a package had come which was too big for the box and that I could pick it up at the window, which I did.

My opinion was that substitute carrier, on Saturday, tried to take the package and with the threat of the ATF, to powers to be became too inquisitive. I will say that I have never had that happen to me either before or after that one time. My regular carrier is as good as gold.

In your instance, you cannot threaten to report it to the ATF since you knew that you had changed addresses. ATF may not like that.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If it shows "out for delivery" and it was not delivered, it is most likely back at the local PO because no one was there to sign for it. Check with the PO and see if you can pick it up there.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who lives at your old address?
Sounds like they got it, if somebody signed -adult signature is required.
Any neighbors you know who can drop by and ask?
Also, the post office has responsibility if they didn't deliver to you as addressee, but good luck on that if the person who got it won't give it back.
It should have just been forwarded to you if you left a forwarding address.
Family members live at the old address now. It isn't there. What is needed to be done to get a new license? Send in the old one with a note or form filled out? I also have to have my ccw done too.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it shows "out for delivery" and it was not delivered, it is most likely back at the local PO because no one was there to sign for it. Check with the PO and see if you can pick it up there.
It shows "delivered"

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
i guess the only option now is contact your post office directly and inquire.

Q: May a licensee change the location of the licensed business or activity?

To change your location, you must file an application for an amended license, ATF Form 5300.38, not less than 30 days prior to the move. You must obtain the amended license before commencing business at the new location. The application for an amended license includes a certification of compliance with State and local laws and notification of local law enforcement officials.
[27 CFR 478.52]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensing.html#ffl-change-of-location

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5300-38.pdf

1 - 20 of 58 Posts