Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my R\C's has a slightly worn bore and I've been experimenting with different loads. I have found that it sprays milsurp everywhere. No groups at all, just patterns. It does the same thing with the Hornady 150 SP's which my favorite K98 loves (It has a tight bore and crown though). It will, however, group the Hornady 195 SP. The last two times I've shot this round I received sub three inch groups. After comparing this bullet with the 150 and milsurp FMJ's I've noticed that there is more mass from base to where the bullet tapers than the the other two and thus my theory is that more bullet is actually grabbing what rifling is left in the bore. I would like to try the Hornady 170 grain RN since it has even more mass than the 195 over the length of the bullet. But before I slap down $25 I'd like to know if the Round Nose is going to cause a chambering problem. I believe I heard along time ago that some K98 owners had this problem. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
RN Feeding

Mine feed them OK I don't shoot jacketed I shoot lead with gas checks. They also are just over 200 grain. These rifles are more stock sensitive than most people realize. The recoil lug and the bands and the way the action sits in the wood can cause one to shoot all over the place. The flat base stuff has always been easier to dial in though some boat tails will group better farther down range. Regards. Sunfish

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
fish has it. i have a 'junker' sporter stock i put em in to test em. that'll tell you if its the 'fit and fair'
this is a really great method to use on rc's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a junker stock but it doesn't matter anyway. I solved the problem yesterday afternoon and today. Worked up three loads yesterday with the Hornady 170 RN flat based. Seated it a 16th" back of the canular over 49 gr. varget and from prone position at 50 yards received a 3.60" group. I new that was not the proper position to test fire and on two shots I knew when I pulled the trigger they were going right. So I worked up six more loads today, same powder weight but with bullet seated to the canular on three and 4\16ths back of the canular on the other three to give me a longer bullet. Bench rest from 100 yards and the first three resulted in a 2.70" group. The final three which had the most bullet length was a 1.48" group. My conclusion is that the shallower seated bullets combined with more of the RN's mass being able to grab the rifling has resulted in a rifle I am now comfortable to hunt with. My suggestion for all those who thought their RC bore's were shot out: don't stop experimenting or tinkering with different bullets on that RC that you thought was nothing more than a wall hanger. It might just turn out to be a shooting gem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts