Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the life of me I have never seen one of the chamber cleaning sticks for Lee Enfield rifles ever. Are they still available, because I really don't have a way of reliably cleaning the chamber,*maybe a .410 swab? I know there was a thread some time ago before the boards went helter skelter, with regards to a place that sold rolls of patch material with little red lines every so often. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Best regards Marmaloon.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
J&B Bore paste and Iosso bore cleaner, J&B bore paste and Kroil work the best for cleaning and the Iosso for the final chamber polish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing you have more than one of those .410 swabs then? BTW thanks for the reply, it was very illuminating as usual.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
When it comes down to spending over $35.00 for an oak stick, (attachment #1) the cleaning rod, battery powered drill and swab is faster and cheaper and does a better job.

http://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/Store/product_info.php?currency=US%24&cPath=23&products_id=165

The J&B Bore Paste and Kroil are very good bore and chamber cleaners for stubborn carbon or heavy duty cleaning.

For every day cleaning a fiber pistol brush wrapped with an over sized patch is all you need. (attachments # 2 & 3)

Note: The use of foam bore cleaner eliminates the need for copper brushes and scrubbing the bore or chamber. (attachment # 4)

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
To reuse swabs and brushes, they do clean up with a bit of solvent (soaking for a while) then shot clean with a blast of brake cleaner. However they should be considered disposable after a few uses. They aren't designed to be spun.
A worn 44 magnum brush works just as well as 410 or 41 magnum rod accessories. In a chamber, care must be taken not to spin them on too high a speed or allow anything abrasive to bugger up the rifling leade.

I've use Break-Free foaming cleaner. In my experience it's a definite shortcut from a scrubbing standpoit which is good for both owner and rifle, but it surely doesn't eliminate the need for brushes etc. The blue copper gunk softened up in the rifling still needs to be pushed out and cleaned up behind.
Also, perhaps it's a holdover from previous copper solvents, I prefer not to leave any traces of copper solvent behind in a barrel.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
chamber cleaning stick not necessary. Hoppes makes a short FLEXIBLE cleaning rod for the purpose. One size for shotguns and one for rifles. Simply screw an appropriate diameter wire brush in the end and you have it. the best part is the local gun store will have it in stock.

Oh by the way, that material with the little red lines is British 4x4 that comes in rolls. Not really necessary unless you want to be "authentic'

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Several of the Otis kits come with the short flexible rod, T-handle and brush as well.

Works like a charm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chamber cleaning stick not necessary. Hoppes makes a short FLEXIBLE cleaning rod for the purpose. One size for shotguns and one for rifles. Simply screw an appropriate diameter wire brush in the end and you have it. the best part is the local gun store will have it in stock.

Oh by the way, that material with the little red lines is British 4x4 that comes in rolls. Not really necessary unless you want to be "authentic'
John, here in Dartmouth/Halifax you would not believe how sucky the local gunstores are. The exception afaict is the Army Navy Store over on Agricola Street.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As an aside to this topic Peter Laidler told me that before the MOD sold off the L42 A1 Sniper Rifles complete with their CES (complete equipment scedule); it was deemed necessary to remove all of the chamber sticks because they might have a use on the L96 rifle which was to replace the L42.
One must wonder at the huge saving to the British tax payer by removing these little beech sticks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bore paste

Someone told me one time that buying a bore paste is too expensive and that all you needed was toothpaste. It's a very mild abrasive and a fraction of the cost. Also, no nasty chemicals to bugger up you beautiful skin... all with a fresh minty fragrance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts