Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this CG80 from the last batch of target rifles that Simpson Ltd. offered. It's a type 2 with the adjustable cheek rest and 29" tapered barrel. It's built on a 1913 CG receiver and has a Schultz & Larsen barrel and trigger. The former owner took good care of it and the bore was full of grease when I received it. Removing the grease revealed a really nice bore. The rear sight is a G.Busk diopter. I planned to use this rifle in our local 600 yard mid-range prone matches.

The rear sight has elevation markings that go all the way to 600, but when I tested it at 600 yards, I found that even with the sight at the top of it's adjustment, which was above the "600" line, the point of impact was still about 16 inches too low.

Before I did my testing at 600 yards, I shot quite a bit at 300 yards to test the rifle and get a good 300 yard zero. I also did a test to confirm the click value of the G.Busk sight. I found that one click equals 1" of elevation at 300 yards or 1/3 of a minute. Going back to my 600 yard testing, I found that the rear sight had 37 clicks of elevation available above the 300 yard zero. To get zeroed at 600 yards, I would need at least 45 clicks (15 minutes) of elevation above the 300 yard zero. To fix that, I made a shim to raise the rear sight enough to zero at 600 yards with some extra elevation to spare.

I did some calculations and figured that I needed a shim about 0.037" thick. I found some sheet metal that measured 0.040" and used that for the shim. When I removed the rear sight I found that the top of the receiver bridge had been filed or milled to remove the radius behind the clip slot. That might be why the sight was too low to get zeroed at 600 yards. I also found another set of tapped holes for some other kind of diopter that used a diagonal pattern. I needed longer mounting screws which turned out to be an uncommon size (M3.5-0.6) metric thread. Luckily, I was able to find the proper screws at a local hardware store that's legendary for having hard to find fasteners.

I got the sight re-mounted and went back to the range to re-establish the 300 yard zero. Once I got it zeroed at 300 yards, I moved the range plate on the G.Busk sight to align the pointer with the "300" line. From there I was able to confirm that I now had 57 clicks of elevation available above the 300 yard zero, 20 clicks more than the unshimmed sight.

A few weeks later, I used the rifle to shoot a 60 shot, mid-range prone match at 600 yards. With the shimmed rear sight calibrated for a 300 yard zero, my final zero at 600 yards was 4 clicks above the "600" line, with an additional 17 clicks of elevation available above that. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out! Here are some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did it shoot tho?
The rifle shoots better than I do. When I was doing the sight click value testing, I shot two groups of 3 shots that measured 0.640 MOA and 0.659 MOA, which was off of a bench rest.

In the match, we were shooting prone with a sling, 3 relays of 20 shots each on a standard MR-1 NRA high power rifle target. The X ring is 6" in diameter, with a 36" aiming black. In the first relay I was having trouble with my glasses fogging up, so that didn't help my score, which was 185-7X. I fixed the fogging problem for the second relay, but my score was actually worse with a 180-2X because I just got lazy and wasn't breaking good shots. For the third relay, I settled down and really concentrated on my sight alignment and trigger control and ended up with a 193-6X. Overall, I'm happy with the results. I don't feel like the rifle held me back. The guy next to me shooting a modern Palma rifle finished only 1 point ahead of me. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anyone is interested, all of the shooting above was with what I consider one of my standard target loads for the 6.5x55. It's a fairly mild load that is close to the ballistics of m/41 ball ammo. I developed it using RL-17 powder because I picked up an 8 pound jug back when powder was hard to come by and it has a burn rate close to IMR4350.

Remington Cases
140 gr. Nosler Custom Competition
38.2 gr. RL-17
CCI 200 primers
OAL = 3.089"
Velocity = 2555 fps in m/96

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
When was last time you checked? I did get a lock nut from them a year or so ago
Please post the link. I could not find the M4 X .5 nut; just M4 X .7. This information will be a big help for present and future Ljungman AG42b shooters if they can get all the parts they need to make a gas block regulator from a single source.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Please post the link. I could not find the M4 X .5 nut; just M4 X .7. This information will be a big help for present and future Ljungman AG42b shooters if they can get all the parts they need to make a gas block regulator from a single source.
its a brass nut which you can either grind down or use as is.... Just found my order confirmation email with SKU numbers:
Items in your order
Aluminium Allen Bolt M3 x (0.5mm) x 8mm Pack x 10
SKU: PB308-10BK
Color
Black
Aluminium Allen Bolt M3 x (0.5mm) x 10mm Pack x 10
SKU: PB310-10BK
Color
Black
M4 x 0.5mm pitch Brass Insert Rubber Nut
SKU: LRNUT4F
Stainless Steel Dome Head Bolt M4 x (0.5mm) x 12mm Pack x 10
SKU: SSFB412F-10

·
Registered
577 Posts
NW Swede. OUTSTANDING. Its soooo good to hear about shooters that actually use these FSR rifles, PRONE... SLUNG UP.... shooting MID-RANGE matches.

I take it that this isnt your 1st rodeo shooting NRA matches?

You have any other "distance" target loads other than the one you posted? I'm using H4831sc and Lapua 144gn FMJBT in my faux m41b "sniper".

Hope you keep your CG-80 involved in the sport they were designed to shoot in.

ptf18

·
Registered
531 Posts
The rifle shoots better than I do. When I was doing the sight click value testing, I shot two groups of 3 shots that measured 0.640 MOA and 0.659 MOA, which was off of a bench rest.

In the match, we were shooting prone with a sling, 3 relays of 20 shots each on a standard MR-1 NRA high power rifle target. The X ring is 6" in diameter, with a 36" aiming black. In the first relay I was having trouble with my glasses fogging up, so that didn't help my score, which was 185-7X. I fixed the fogging problem for the second relay, but my score was actually worse with a 180-2X because I just got lazy and wasn't breaking good shots. For the third relay, I settled down and really concentrated on my sight alignment and trigger control and ended up with a 193-6X. Overall, I'm happy with the results. I don't feel like the rifle held me back. The guy next to me shooting a modern Palma rifle finished only 1 point ahead of me. :thumbsup:
That is pretty good shooting, I've never shot anything other than .30 cal across the course, how does the 6.5 compare? What is your front sight?
With my older eyes and cataracts, I'm having trouble with a post anymore, might have to go back to my match rifle.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Sir,

Kindly post your group size at 600 yds please.

I would be jumping up and tossing roses at you if Mark in Pa had not shown up at Quantico Range 4 yesterday (I ran this range ) and shot 800 and 1000 yds with a rifle just like yours and had nauseating tiny groups. Pathetic...the 338 Lapua Mafia, 300 Win Mag Gang and 6.5 Creedmore Clan shot far worse and had noses out of joint with Marks performance.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take it that this isnt your 1st rodeo shooting NRA matches?

You have any other "distance" target loads other than the one you posted?
ptf18 - I've been shooting CMP/NRA high power for the last 10 years, mostly in vintage matches. I got serious for a time and achieved Master classification with my AR-15 service rifle, but since then my NRA classification has lapsed because I've been shooting more fun vintage matches than NRA registered matches.

Here are a couple more 6.5x55 loads that I've used for matches or medium range shooting. I don't think there's anything really special about these loads. I'm sure there are "better" ones out there. I tend to work up loads until I find something that's "good enough" then stop experimenting and start using it. It's not hard to find good loads in the 6.5x55 and the rifles that shoot it.

This was my match standard before the RL-17 load, again because I had a large amount of IMR4350.
Remington Cases
140 gr. Nosler Custom Competition
CCI 200 primers
42.1 gr. IMR4350
OAL = 3.089"
Velocity = 2604 fps in 29" barrel

This was the best accuracy load in a scoped CG80 that I have. Not very fast, but extremely accurate in that rifle.
Lapua Cases
142 Sierra Match King
45.7 gr. RL-22
CCI 200 primers
OAL = 3.124"
Velocity = 2470 fps in 24.5" barrel

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never shot anything other than .30 cal across the course, how does the 6.5 compare? What is your front sight?
Sandhill - As all the long range shooters have "discovered" recently, the 6.5mm bullet is superior to the 30 cal. for long range shooting. For shooting across the course, which includes rapid fire stages, the 6.5 is limited by the lack of a good semi-auto service rifle chambered for it. I think if you had a pair of M14's - one in .308 and one in .260 Rem., the .260 would be the better shooter due to the superior ballistics and reduced recoil of the 6.5mm round.

The front sight on my CG80 is the original globe sight that uses a 17.2mm (Anschutz) insert. I was using an insert with a 3.4mm aperture which seems like a good size for shooting on standard NRA high power targets. The G.Busk rear sight is nice because it has several different sized apertures that you can select by rotating an indexed wheel.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NW Swede.....your group at 600 yds please. That would be most informative.
milprileb - I'm sorry, but I wasn't shooting for groups at 600. At my club, the 600 yard range is only open for organized shoots, so it's kind of hard to do much load testing, etc.. at that distance. In the near future, I'll shoot my CG80 at 300 yards on a reduced 600 yard target and post my groups for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.