Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
507 Posts
As much as I like Swedish Mausers, the Tikka T3 is magnitudes a better rifle. I can easily load 140gr rounds to 3000 fps if I want to burn the barrel faster. I keep it at the 2600 because I am not good enough yet to need such high velocity and I want the barrel to last longer.

I have had multiple M96s, 1 CG 63 but all I have left now is a CG80. But even compared to that the T3 is so much better.

landtoy80 said:
Which would be better for iron sight shooting, a shorter accurate rifle or a surplus rifle with longer sight radius? Just looking for a different way to do some plinking.
If for purely iron sight shooting, the T3 will have more potential even with the shorter sight radius. You can extend the sight radius for $80 with a bloop tube (as I did in my Sporter below). The only thing the CG63 and CG80 have that is better compared to a T3 Lite is the stock, which is made for prone target shooting whereas the T3 Lite is not. The only other thing I can see the advantage being with the CG63 is the possible cheaper price (possible to get less than $600 with sights) on a shooter grade and its already done.

Ultimately the best rifle for you would be which do you enjoy more: shooting as accurate as you can, shooting accurate and competing, or enjoying a classic rifle for fun?

Me, I got bit by the competition bug so most of my surplus rifles went away to make $ for accurate rifles. If you want to compete and have a chance of winning, unfortunately you can't do it with the Swedish Mauser target rifles.

If I get more competitive in silhouette matches, a T3 Lite in 6.5x55 is what I am looking at to compete with.

View attachment 769854
View attachment 769855

Same bolt and receiver as any Swedish Mauser . So , not hot loads !!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need 4000 fps to accurately shoot paper targets . M41 factory ammo is 2592 fps in a 29" barrel .
Tell that to the guys at the NRA long range matches (800 to 1000 yards). Speed buys you windage points, the faster the bullet gets to the target, the less time wind (and less wind even because of lower elevation) will have a chance to affect the trajectory. I am not into it, but there are people in F-class (prone rifle on a front and rear rest) that have less than 3 inch groups at 1000 yards.

· Registered
507 Posts
Swede, I agree 100%, even more so on not doing hot loads through the Swedish Mausers. I also agree the Swedes will win or be close to winning in military rifle matches.

Landtoy80 asked for accuracy and if he is going to compete in the match rifle category, there are better options. On that note I use my CG 80 for midrange (300 to 600 yard prone) matches because it's fun but I don't expect to win it.

· Registered
507 Posts
The only thing I read that worries me is I found some info that said some of the CG63 have been rebarreled several times and the stretching of the receiver has made them unsafe or prone to fail. Something about setting the barrel back each time it has a new barrel attached??? Not sure if what I read is correct. Is there a way to tell if the receiver has stretched and is going to fail from too many rebarrelings? Could a gun smith detect that? Internet rumor?
I have never heard of anything about the Mauser 96 or 98 actions stretching from a rebarrel. Only thing I heard about stretching of receivers was on the Enfields but even that might be a mouth/rumor (I only heard it once and didn't research it as I am not planning on owning any Enfields).

I wouldn't worry about that, especially so on the CG63 that were done at the GF factory or Norma. Simpsons Ltd has a good range of available CG63s to choose from. Look on their website and search for Swedish target to get a list.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.