Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking to get a nice rifle to try shooting with aperture sights and found the CG63. Then I found that I could add aperture sights to my Tikka T3 Light 6.5x55 and dropped the idea of getting a CG63. Then I got to thinking...

My T3 has a 22' barrel and the CG63 has a 29" barrel. Not sure how accurate used CG63 is but my T3 is very accurate with a scope. Would there be much of an advantage to having the extra 7" of barrel to increase the sight radius? My AK has a short sight radius and it does well to 300+ yards with iron sights.
Which would be better for iron sight shooting, a shorter accurate rifle or a surplus rifle with longer sight radius? Just looking for a different way to do some plinking.

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Question, are the CG63's left hand friendly? I only shoot iron sights with left eye. Just started shooting left handed few years ago when I found out I can see the sights with my left eye.

I already am setup for 6.5x55 but have always wanted a 8x57? Can the 8x57 shoot surplus ammo that is on the market right now?
I read somewhere that there are new replacement barrels for the 6.5x55 that are somewhat cost effective (maybe old news) but what about the 8x57 (if for some reason you get one thats not a good shooter)?

The CG63 is getting more interesting and now I am thinking I need to have one instead of fitting my T3 with a aperture sight. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the rifle left hand shooter friendly?

Are the Lothar Walther 6.5x55 M96 barrels going to be the same diameter as the CG63 barrles?

Would the barrel be "home gunsmith" friendly? Would you be able to swap the barrel out with a barrel vise like the ones from Midway or would there be some gunsmithing work required to get to barrel installed?

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I do like shooting my shorter barrel T3 but there is something about shooting a rifle with a longer barrel. It must be a male thing
Putting a bloop tube on my T3 might give me the feel of a longer barrel but it might be like having a penile extension... (guess I wont be buying a bloop tube now)

I am just looking to have a fun plinker that does shoot well. The only thing I dont like about buying surplus/used is its usually a crap shoot weather its a good one or a bad one. I am no expert when it comes to judging a surplus/used ffirearm. You dont know till you get to the range. My M91/30 barrel looked good but the bore turned out to be .315". When first shooting it, it patterned like a shotgun. After much work shims and finding a good load that will work with the oversize barrel it turned out to be a good shooter.

The only thing I read that worries me is I found some info that said some of the CG63 have been rebarreled several times and the stretching of the receiver has made them unsafe or prone to fail. Something about setting the barrel back each time it has a new barrel attached??? Not sure if what I read is correct. Is there a way to tell if the receiver has stretched and is going to fail from too many rebarrelings? Could a gun smith detect that? Internet rumor?

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at a bunch online at Simpsons Ltd. I sure would like to take a trip there with a briefcase full of cash. I am sure I would have no problem finding a good one there along with some other rifles that are on my dream list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.