Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi AGB-1!
Didnt catch your question around this rifle........ if you had one.
What I can see is a CG63 produced at GF in Eskilstuna and seller claims built in 1966. Probably so because here is used receiver and bolt m/94 (GF got 10000 of those to be used in production of CG63 the first years). The barrel looks very much as the hammered barrels from GF when CG80 came but can of course be of other origin, This fat barrels came when CG80 were introduced and therefore also allowed on CG63s at that time. When mounted no place for a handguard. The buttplate extension also an approved feature.
Maybe you already seen the threads around CG63 and CG80 but if not here is links http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?49464-Info-on-early-period-of-CG-63-(As-I-understand-it) http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?183419-The-rise-and-fall-of-the-CG80
If you have thoughts around this special CG63 please let us know.
Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am the winning bidder on the CG 63 Heavy Barrel rifle, of the poor soul who paid to much? We shall see! I have always wanted a CG 63 or preferably a CG 80, and this looks to be the best of both worlds. Any information you can provide on this rifle I would greatly appreciate! Range report will have to wait til after eye surgery.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,046 Posts
Personally I was looking at that one but what looks like the bedding job near where the barrel meets the receiver looks rather sloppy. That might have scared a few potential buyers, it did me. Hopefully it's just the picture and you have indeed bought a nice one that shoots lights out.:thumbsup:

A lot of CG63s had a replacement barrel put on once or twice as mine did. I've seen them with that type of heavy barrel (CG80?) before.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Personally I was looking at that one but what looks like the bedding job near where the barrel meets the receiver looks rather sloppy. That might have scared a few potential buyers, it did me. Hopefully it's just the picture and you have indeed bought a nice one that shoots lights out.:thumbsup:

A lot of CG63s had a replacement barrel put on once or twice as mine did. I've seen them with that type of heavy barrel (CG80?) before.

As an owner of a number of CG-xx rifles, I can tell you that that bedding job looks just fine. So an 'imperfectly clean' bedding 'line' on the CGxx rig should not scare anyone. I thought the same thing too, at first, but then once I got several others and more of em looked like it I realized that it was NOT a slop job. Especially on the 'direct from Sweden' rigs which had no 'bubba' contact in the States...

Rifle above, If I had the money I would of been bidding on it myself. I think its a great deal and congratulations.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,046 Posts
Interesting, if you say so, you've been around these things far more than I and I've sure learned a lot from your posts. I sure it will be a fine example and very accurate but to me it just looks sloppy for Swedish work. I'm first generation with family from Germany and Sweden and we are kind of perfectionists, maybe to a fault. That's what influenced my decision not to bid. I see that it didn't garner a whole lot of interest even with it being highlighted here at the forum for all to see. I have seen CG63s go for quite a bit more on GB.

I never said it had met up with bubba.

I hope that Gunsisme has found a jewel in the rough. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Interesting, if you say so, you've been around these things far more than I and I've sure learned a lot from your posts. I sure it will be a fine example and very accurate but to me it just looks sloppy for Swedish work. I'm first generation with family from Germany and Sweden and we are kind of perfectionists, maybe to a fault. That's what influenced my decision not to bid. I see that it didn't garner a whole lot of interest even with it being highlighted here at the forum for all to see. I have seen CG63s go for quite a bit more on GB.

I never said it had met up with bubba.

I hope that Gunsisme has found a jewel in the rough. :thumbsup:
I thought the same thing at first (sloppy for Swedish work), but was proven otherwise. I do not think that much attention was given to the 'perfect lines' compared to a perfect bedding job.
I would love to see pictures of it once it arrives and is disassembled. It almost makes me wonder if it was a CG-63 with a lighter barrel and then a barrel got replaced, yet owner opted for the previous stock (with partial re-bedding on the action/barrel end), trigger... Again, I would hope to see detailed pictures of it once its in a new owners hands.
One way or another, I own several 'bedding jobs' as this :) and they all shoot 'dreamy'. And oh yeah, they (bedding jobs) come in different colors too :) - seriously.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,046 Posts
Now I wish I had shown more interest. I'd like to see better pictures and a range report, unfortunately Gunsisme is having trouble with his eyes. Of course he could always send it to me for some serious range testing and expert photography. ;)

·
Silver Bullet Member
276 Posts
Now I wish I had shown more interest. I'd like to see better pictures and a range report, unfortunately Gunsisme is having trouble with his eyes. Of course he could always send it to me for some serious range testing and expert photography. ;)
I am so moved, Sheepie, at your willingness to be of assistance. Words fail me...;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I cannot express my gratitude in words Sheepie. I think this is going to be my new safe queen after I get my eye (Right eye) squared away.I am thinking about a red dot or crosshair lense replacement lol? Oh I'll take her out occasionally if only for bragging rights. Shoot here to show off some great craftsmanship and quiet down the AR crowd. I to saw the bedding work, but thats the wood! It was the heavy barrel and the 94 Bolt that caught my eye. Been wanting a CG 63 for years I have been tempted to spring on 1 at Simpson's / $795. Glad I didn't!!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
here,s my heavy barrled CG63 and the bedding looks sloppy,but it is not a bubba job as the rifle was recieved that way from KEBCO LLC SILVERSPRINGS MD. by the original owner and it shoots fantistic groups. eastbank.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,046 Posts
Shoot here to show off some great craftsmanship and quiet down the AR crowd.

Yeah, nothing like showing the black plastic crowd that you really don't need all that optics crap.

They don't like walnut either. :confused:

Eastbank, do you find this heavy barreled CG63 to be anymore accurate than the usual CG63?

·
Registered
735 Posts
They heavy barrel was what prodded me to bid on this 1. I had been looking at a CG 63 on SIMPSON"S website for quite some time. This is the first heavy barrel CG 63 I have seen. Except for the stock it looks very much like a CG 80. I look forward to getting it home and shooting at the range after surgery. What kind of lens do you think I should ask the Dr. for? Red Dot, crosshair, yellow shooting lense? LOL. After my visit to the Optometrist for new safety glasses
(for my job) I now am aware just how lousy my vision actually had gotten! I am more of a lurker on here than a poster but I will post a range report ASAP. Arilar! I have been reading your posts on the CG 63 and its progression. What can you tell me about the Heavy Barrel CG 63?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I will not be carrying this over hill and dale. I have .270's and several Swedes some sporterized(not by me) a Ruger Ranch rifle and more for that! This will be for Target only, but if the occasion arises to shoot a coyote or what ever I will take the shot. Not intended for hunting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Finally got the rifle today! Looks good. Bolt matches receiver. Only problem is the extractor tip is broken off. New extractor from Liberty Tree Collectors is $30. Not having second thoughts about the purchase but a little disappointed! Been trying to reach seller with no success. Also there are 3 symbols on the underside of the barrel All I can make out is an L about .050 high anyone know who this maker might be???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Gunsisme, is the L in the last position? If so, it could be Schultz & Larsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schultz_&_Larsen). However, I just checked my own barrel, and there it is Schultz & Larsen, Otterup written out in fulll... anyway, S&L provided lots of barrels for the line of fsr target rifle, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you more!

Regards

Bjorna

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.