Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noted the bolt on my CG 63 has a slight dog leg bent in it. The stock behind the reciever bridge has been relieved for this.

Is this a normal modification for this bolt and if so, why?

The action on the left is my CG63, the left is my 1900 Model 96

Second photo shows the relief in the stock on the CG64 compared to the military stock

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
The kinked or dog leg bolt is one of the surplused M-94 bolts . Many CG63's were made from surplused M-94 carbines . The Swede shooters prefer the straight bolts , so the M-94 forged down bolts were straightened out . Very common .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, good to know. What was the reason for the preference? Familiarity?

Personally I have always found straight bolts to be a bit more awkward to use....but it's part of the charm of a Swede. I actually prefer bent bolts quite a bit (my favorite being the Lee Enfield)

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
A straight bolt is easier to grab hold of than a bolt laying down against the stock , especially in rapid firing . RARE to see a target rifle with a bent bolt . Some CG80 bolts are bent slightly down & swept back . Maybe a sign of the times .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Swede's right on the straight bolt but if my memory serves me you didn't grab the bolt with fingers, rather the knob of the bolt was worked with the palm of the hand. Then when you remember that there are many cold months in Sweden you would possablely have on heavy gloves and a straight bolt was definately easier to opperate.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,660 Posts
Having fired extensively those Mausers with straight bolts and some with bent bolts I'm here to tell you the straight bolts are so much faster it boggles the mind how anyone would want the cumbersome bent handles that you sometimes have to pinch with your thumb and forefinger to get a hold of. The straight bolt is smacked upward rather smartly and cycled with much greater speed and dexterity.

Yesterday I cycled so many straight bolt handles my hand was sore after 7 hours at the range. The now scoped K98k with it's bent and curved bolt handle is slower than molasses.

Dutchman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.