Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the Rhodesian forces, or any of the communist guerillas, use any CETME rifles as the did in the Congo?

Reactions: bustermchooter

·
Registered
493 Posts
I know they used G3s they and SA captured from Mozambique. Rhodesia used anything they could get, especially in 7.62. They were known to issue M14s and L1A1s to non frontline personnel so it's not impossible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Spent a lot of time in Zim in the mid 90s through 2000. Bought a ton of firearms . Never saw a Cetme but I wasn't allowed in the main warehouse. They would have offered them to me if they had them however.
SteveK

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
About 30,000 G3 rifles were sold by Portugal after they pulled out of Angol circa 1976. The buyers were south African, and it is said they supplied the arms to Rhodesia, which at that time was totally embargoed. Some of these rifles had the older wooden stocks, supposedly in rotted shape which is why SA pattern sock pattenrs exist. If any of the original wooden stocks were usable, they would like close to Cetmes. Details are in deadly business, though they have the number wrong (300,000 listed, off by one zero).

I seem to recall seeing a short film of late 1978~79 Rhodesian security measures and a G3 was in the hands of a conductor on the railroad.

The SA purchased G3 rifles also showed up in the attempt to take over a small island nation:
1981 Seychelles coup d'état attempt - Wikipedia

Kind of an interesting topic, despite the complete embargo, Rhodesia was able to get No4 rifles (sanitized) from SA (early on), Riot A5 shotguns from FN with unique serial number ranges, 7.62 ammunition for the Belgian FAL from Yugoslavia, and a variety of pistols (P38, FN HP, others) from source never discussed but likely the Portuguese.

Never heard of Cetmes being used, the Spanish were a lot farther north.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
if you do see what looks like a CETME in photos of that era, look to see what the rear sight looks.... like if you can. early G3s had slim wood hand guards, and wood stocks...from afar early G3s look like CETMEs and vice versa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.