Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I posted a while ago that I ordered one of Century's current 91/30 sniper offerings. It arrived today and I just got finished looking it over. I thought I'd give a bit of a report on what to expect if you were considering ordering one. Its supposed to be a "91/30 sniper with plugged holes and stock patch"
I ended up with a 44 Izhevsk. Its completely mis-matched which I expected as they don't have many left. The bore and crown are in excellent condition. The trigger is really sweet compared to my other Mosin Nagants. Bluing on the metal is also excellent. The scope mount holes are plugged as expected. From the looks of things they should be easy to remove on this particular rifle. The bolt looks good, although I am concerned with the way the handle looks. I don't know how these original ones are made but I noticed its a bit thinner diameter at the very top compared to the rest handle. (see pics) This may be normal but this is my first sniper and I have nothing else to compare it to yet. If any of you guys that have original snipers would care to comment on this I'd appreciate it.
The only real disappointment for me is the stock. It is a regular issue stock, instead of a sniper stock that has the mount cutout patched as advertised. Also the ad did say "with cracked stock" but I have a big chunk missing behind the bolt handle. Don't know, maybe I'm expecting too much. I'm not sure if I should contact Century about the stock or not. This is also my first online purchase so I'm unsure what to expect and what to do if not satisfied.
Anyway, here are some pics. I assume this should give anyone interested in one of these a general idea of what they currently have available. Let me know what you think. Comments good and bad are welcome.
Mike

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Century sniper arrived

The bolts vary quite a lot so I wouldn't worry about that too much. If all else works ok, you can find another proper stock on Ebay or some such place and replace it it you can't patch yours up to your satisfaction...Doesn't look all that bad from your pictures, but will leave it to the "experts" here on the Boards to comment further...Thanks for the report...:)

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Look OK to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Vic.

Thanks guys,
I'll have to try and get it cleaned up in the next couple days and try it out. From the looks of the barrel and muzzle it will hopefully be a good shooter. I'll let you know how it does.

Mike

·
Gold Bullet member
11,317 Posts
The font of the old scope number looks a bit odd to me. The handle seems okay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting observation bones. I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if it means anything. I have noticed slightly different fonts on barrel stamps, even between guns of the same year and arsenal. I'll have to browse around at some pics and see how it compares to some others.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts