Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missed out on getting one of the SS No4 MKI (T)s years ago and regretted it. When I heard thru the GB grapevine that Century was running a special on their original No4 MKI (T)s I decided to roll the dice and placed an order. Total price w. shipping was $412 which was what SS was charging back in the day. What showed up today was a TR marked 1944 dated BSA with a matching bolt, barrel, fore-end and a force matched magazine (original SN on the mag was about 250 off). Pad screws are still properly staked. Bore is about a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 and should clean up some more. Wood was very dry, dusty and had arsenal repairs to the buttstock heel (common on Indian service Enfields) and top adjacent to the buttsocket. The fore-end also has a repair just ahead of the king screw and a steel barrel shim (never seen one of these on an Enfield before, just on Mosins). All the repairs were well done and still tight. The first of many BLO applications started tonight after clean up. There was a bit of minor surface rust around the rear sight but that quickly cleaned up with oil and fine brass wool. The barrel and the lower surface of the receiver were painted green and did a good job of keeping rust at bay. Haven't checked headspace yet but will get around to it soon. Chamber looks fine. I was braced for the worst but was pleased with what I got. Will pick up a reproduction mount and probably use a Weaver K2.5 or K3 scope for range sessions until I can find originals. Considering the rapidly rising cost of original scopes and the still strong market for them I'm surprised that someone hasn't done a reproduction like the ZF-41 that Numrich sells. Time will tell.
The camera batteries packed up early so I only have a couple of rough snapshots to post. I'll see if I can't take some better pics tomorrow with the D70 I have at work. First two photos were taken before cleaning. Middle photo shows the shim in the fore-end. Last two photos were taken after cleaning and the first application of BLO.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
That looks like a terrific buy. Well worth having even without the scope and bracket. And at a fabulous price in my opinion.

There's a chap in the UK called Roger Payne who has brackets made from time to time. I have one and it is superb - not cheap but superb. I have lost his contact details but I believe that he sometimes inhabits the 'other forum'.

I hope to publish an article on zeroing the No32 Mk1 soon in the hope that it will bring some more No32s into use. Having said that, if you get a Mk. 1, you MUST get an adjusting tool as well.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lance - If there ever was a scope number the buttstock repair obliterated it.
Beerhunter - Have been watching Roger's trials and tribulations on the build of this latest scope mount lot over on Jouster. Just might contact him to see if all the mounts have already been spoken for (the spam problem over on Jouster is starting to get obscene, wish there was an easy way for Gloria to deal with it before it destroys the site).

· Registered
2,485 Posts
I shoould look into this for my spare scope.

Century you say?

..MJ..

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MJ,
Search Century's site for item #RI017S-G. It'll come up with a price of $699 but if you purchase online the $300 discount is added when you checkout. I'm assuming if you call your Century rep they'll take care of the rest. Believe that the discount is good to the end of December.
John,
Yup, force matched with a big honk'n chisel! I steered clear of their No 4 (T) "reproduction" when they first hit the street. In a way I'm glad that they were too lazy to try and build a "correct" reproduction that would have made it harder to differentiate from the genuine article. Too many folk, like Numrich with their inspector's cartouche stamps, out there making it too easy to fabricate and pass off fakes. But that's to be expected when there's a huge profit to be had in fakery.
Was thinking, Century's got Pakistani No4 MKIIs listed at $169 and I don't have an example in the collection. Do I try to stretch my luck? Hmmmm...

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a question, how much "force" was used to match the magazine?;)
Mags were usualy numbered at unit level if at all.

Nice that you got a decent rifle and not one of Century's modern fakes with the pads held on with phillips screws.
John,
Here's a quick snap of the abused mag. in question.

· Copper Bullet member
2,670 Posts
Missed out on getting one of the SS No4 MKI (T)s years ago and regretted it. When I heard thru the GB grapevine that Century was running a special on their original No4 MKI (T)s I decided to roll the dice and placed an order. Total price w. shipping was $412 which was what SS was charging back in the day. What showed up today was a TR marked 1944 dated BSA with a matching bolt, barrel, fore-end and a force matched magazine (original SN on the mag was about 250 off). Pad screws are still properly staked. Bore is about a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 and should clean up some more. Wood was very dry, dusty and had arsenal repairs to the buttstock heel (common on Indian service Enfields) and top adjacent to the buttsocket. The fore-end also has a repair just ahead of the king screw and a steel barrel shim (never seen one of these on an Enfield before, just on Mosins). All the repairs were well done and still tight. The first of many BLO applications started tonight after clean up. There was a bit of minor surface rust around the rear sight but that quickly cleaned up with oil and fine brass wool. The barrel and the lower surface of the receiver were painted green and did a good job of keeping rust at bay. Haven't checked headspace yet but will get around to it soon. Chamber looks fine. I was braced for the worst but was pleased with what I got. Will pick up a reproduction mount and probably use a Weaver K2.5 or K3 scope for range sessions until I can find originals. Considering the rapidly rising cost of original scopes and the still strong market for them I'm surprised that someone hasn't done a reproduction like the ZF-41 that Numrich sells. Time will tell.
The camera batteries packed up early so I only have a couple of rough snapshots to post. I'll see if I can't take some better pics tomorrow with the D70 I have at work. First two photos were taken before cleaning. Middle photo shows the shim in the fore-end. Last two photos were taken after cleaning and the first application of BLO.

What did you use to clean the grime off the wood and paint off the barrel? Thanks, Rick.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick,
The paint stayed on the barrel as it is a legit modification (I have a No5 and some Australian No1s in my collection sporting green paint as well). I cleaned the stock with odorless mineral spirits and then attacked the dry wood with thinned BLO. Thats all. Wanted to keep the original finish intact and just remove the decades of grime and dust. Even managed to keep the painted rack numbers on the stock intact.

· Silver Bullet member
15,806 Posts
Mine took a week and a half to arrive. It appears to have spent some of its life on the Indian subcontinent. Metal is refinished and some of the wood replaced. Bore is excellent.

I'll post some pictures when I get it cleaned up on a new thread.

· Registered
161 Posts
Mine arrived Tuesday, and I didn't get a chance to do anything with it until today. Mine is all matching, excellent bore, one stock repair at the buttplate. Overall, I think it was a good deal. I actually bought one of the Sarco reproduction mounts when these rifles first came in.

The rifle took some cleaning, as it was absolutely filthy. I haven't applied anything to the stock since cleaning, but plan to when I get more time.

· Registered
2,485 Posts
Bad timing for me. I just had to explain a Lithgow and a S&W a week before Christmas. I know that could never happen to any of you. LOL :D I was told suck up the fake guilt trip and go pick the stuff up.

Now I'm back at 1st. base.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered a reproduction mount from Numrich (looks identical to Sarco's, probably both built at the same place) and got this old Higgins scope off EPay. Should do fine for now. All that's left is to dig up a 1907 sling w. vintage WWII steel hardware.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.