Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one of the Century "scopeless" No 4 Mk1 Snipers before Christmas and picked it up today at the UPS warehouse. First impressions showed a dirt covered dark-stocked rifle in decent shape...after a cursory cleanup I checked the bore and the markings. It has the Shirley M47C mark clearly stamped on the wrist. Bolt and receiver ring serial numbers match, magazine is force matched with an old lined out number. Overall condition is surprisingly very good...though sold as "good" condition I would rate it a strong very good...only metal wear is on the nose piece and buttplate...have not opened that yet...bore is very nice as far as I can tell...there is fine dirt all over it...or was any way...paint markings on underside of stock...I took some quick pics which I am posting...more later. I am an Enfield lurker so please share your expertise on these...I recall some recommendations on scoping these...would love to hear the advice from the expert crew here. All in all I am very pleased for $399....not sure if anymore are available. I hate to admit this but this is my first gun buy from Century in over 10 years of collecting. I will give them an A on this deal.
Flakshield

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I called today and they said they had 28 left after I ordered one. I asked this question about an hour ago with no replies but maybe you know. Do these fall within a certain sniper serial number range if their even is one?
thanks,
BARQS19

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
These were purchased from Springfield Sporters when they got out of the gun business. They were all made up in India.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
From what I've seen they've got the correct markings and parts so how are they made up?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Ansley means they were FTR'ed in India...so some parts are replaced...this seems to be the case in all of these so far.
Flakshield

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
All no4Ts should shoot very well as they were specially selected when new and should not have been subjected to many rounds during their service life. So even an unscoped T is good to have - I use mine, sans scope, in Classic shooting.

There are scopes around but they command high prices, especially the Mk3s. If you get a Mk1 or Mk2 you MUST get an adjusting tool or have one made as you will not be able to zero without one.

The real problem for some one trying to scope a No4T is the scope bracket as they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Stenciling

Any chance you could post a clearer pic of the stencilled markings under the butt stock?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I ordered a 2nd one today as my first is still lost in the UPS system. Glad I did as there are only a few left and this is the last day you can get them for $399, on monday when they open up again after today whats left will be $699 according to the woman I spoke to at century today.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
There is only ONE scope mount that will fit. I think Gunpartsinc still has copies made in India, but there are those who say they need work,. If you want an original N032 you had best have a VERY FAT wallet as they are in the 800-1000 dollar range. Now some folks say a old lyman alaskan is pretty close in appearance

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is only ONE scope mount that will fit. I think Gunpartsinc still has copies made in India, but there are those who say they need work,. If you want an original N032 you had best have a VERY FAT wallet as they are in the 800-1000 dollar range. Now some folks say a old lyman alaskan is pretty close in appearance
John,
Are there any original mounts out there?
Thanks,
Flakshield

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
Original mounts- yes, most are attached to original scopes though.

John,
how about pointing me at one of those scopes? PM appreciated.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Real deal, not the "replica" snipers they previously built out of std No4s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts