Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a CETME Sporter built by CAI in the C357xx range for a little under $400. Looks pretty clean, with some grind marks (under the paint) around the front of the receiver marring an otherwise nice looking build. It has unfinished wood furniture. Any idea when it was built? Is this an earlier and/or better built one? TIA.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
did you buy it? for that price it matters not if it's early or late...... get it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
IIRC, my purchased-in-'01 SS Chopo SN is in the C1300 Range ... I will have to dig out the stamped-receiver Chopo (Spring/Summer '02?) from the south gunsafe to check the SN.

With a number that high I would guess that CETME to sport a stamped receiver, correct?

Kim

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just checked ... my stamped-steel CETME SN is C29480. I bought this new shortly after the stamped-receiver CETMEs appeared on the market ... I received this one in mid-July'02.

I got SOGomized on the deal, but that is another story ...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it does sound like a more recent build based on the numbers here. Its a stamped receiver build.

I brought a feeler gauge to check bolt gap and dial micrometer caliper to check it for ground bolt. Hopefully its still there and I can get a lengthy look at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard this topic researched. Not sure anyone can match a serial number on a CETME to a specific production date.

Only real indicator I've ever seen was that the early production runs were receiver marked St. Albans and were supposedly better quality. The later ones of supposedly lesser quality are marked Georgia, VT.

HOWEVER...from what I hear...the MOST recent CETMES are of better quality than the ones a year or two ago.....and are still marked Georgia...

So.......now you're as confused as I am.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get your wallet out...

I ran across a CETME Sporter built by CAI in the C357xx range for a little under $400. Looks pretty clean, with some grind marks (under the paint) around the front of the receiver marring an otherwise nice looking build. It has unfinished wood furniture. Any idea when it was built? Is this an earlier and/or better built one? TIA.
.............oh and a CETME for "a little under $400" is a safe buy unless it is messed up. You will always be able to get your money out of it...so buy it and post pics!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 on $400 being a steal if the gun functions.

As far as receiver numbers showing dates.... Its tough to say that since they were working on building rifles and selling receivers at the same time. I bet the numbers go all over the place.

A scary thing that you have described is that the receiver has grind mark... maybe someone was wanting to try and rebuild it??? trying to find the barrel pin maybe??? Now it makes it sound like it could be a lemon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I sent off my Serial to Century via email to get an idea of when my rifle was made but never got a response.

Guess I will never know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
muzzlebrake

ive had a cetme for several years that came from century arms works great but doesent have a muzzle brake, plain barrel where can i get one that bolts on or press on thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hmm, makes me wonder. Got my CETME two?three? years ago for $350.

Finish is great, only problem is it shoots really high, but we are going to fix that soon.

SN is C54XXX, runs great. So it must be a newer one as well?

Now do the early, or the later ones work better?

·
Registered
105 Posts
While we're at it....

Is there a quick n foolproof way to tell if the receiver is stamped or cast? The only CETME I've ever seen up close and personal is the one I bought direct from Century about 3 or 4 years ago. It's got a sort of rough line down the middle of the bottom of the receiver, but I don't know if that is a weld mark or flashimg from a casting. The rifle has been flawless, right out of the box, and is a great shooter. I looked through the faq but didn't see an explanation of the difference that was down at my level. :D

Thanks guys,
cc

·
Registered
223 Posts
quickest way is to check the rear sight. If its welded on, its a stamped receiver, if it is cast in with the unit, there will be no welding marks. Also in front of the rear sight on a cast gun is a "saddle" only a quarter inch or so forward of it.

There are other subtle differences like how defined the scope "bumps" are and other cosmetic differences in the magwell, but the rear sight is the easiest way to look and see. I'd guess if yours has a defined line on the bottom its stamped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the info jfowl, now I know what to look for. The faint line down the middle of the bottom is straight, but the width is irregular and looks like flashing from a mold to me. Or a weld that was poorly done and not well cleaned up! But by your description, the receiver is cast. Cast is what I suspected since the metal seems pretty thick to have been a stamping. The old girl shoots like a dream and has churned through over a thousand rounds of whatever is cheapest at the time without a single problem. Thanks again for taking the time to help a noob.

regards,
cc

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
is the rear sight tac weled on?

·
Registered
105 Posts
is the rear sight tac weled on?
No sign of a weld, and it has the saddle that jfowl described at the top of what I presume are the scope mounting lugs. Uh-huh, definitely cast. The side reads Georgia Vt.

Thanks gentlemen.

cc

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
confedcpt, how much did you pay new from century?

·
Registered
105 Posts
confedcpt, how much did you pay new from century?

$357, including shipping. Found the receipt the other day while cleaning up my C&R book, and it was an easy number to remember! Plus $30 "transfer fee" at the local pawn shop, since the CETME is not C&R. The rifle came with wood furniture, bayonet with scabard, 2 CETME mags, and two HK mags with a mag pouch. The HK mags would not quite latch in place until I did a little file work on them, but work great now. I think it was about three years ago. At least two, because that is the rifle my son is holding on the right in the photo below, taken two years ago. All in all, I consider it a great value on a fine rifle.

cc

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
sounds like a good deal, i never bought one that came with a bayo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts