Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some know I've divested the bulk of my collection, but this rifle popped up locally and flew under the radar on a local board for almost 2 weeks with no takers. Advertised as a 1938 Mosin, my request for a shank photo gave me a 1938 28/30 with matching bolt and stock, numbered to the Pohja district. It was built on a 191? Ishevsk receiver. I got it for less than a run-down M39. I do believe that I appreciate my remaining Finns the more due to their diminished number.

After a day of patching with Wipe-out/Patch Out (great stuff!) and innumerable royal purple patches the bore has proved to be worn but shiney. The muzzle has a 1 cm counterbore and slugs at .301/.3102. The two-piece stock may have a butt splice from a reclaimed M28 since it has the SYT stamp in the right finger groove; the serial number of rifle is stamped on the left butt. There is a "D" and small SA stamp. I hope to put some 'Mexican match' 205 gr .311 sized 311299s through it next week to see how it likes cast bullets after I get the metal fouling under control. Anyway, I've enjoyed my Independence Day 28/30 and wanted to share.

Prayers for our country on this Independence Day 2014, our 238th year. God Bless America.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Very nice indeed.

There are 3 Mosins listed in local traders right now near me, none of the sellers will respond to questions, they have been for sale for months as well.
So even more congrats are in order, you actually got a seller to respond to a question!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
Always fun to find one 'in the wild', and for a great price!
Really nice rifle, Mike. It has character, but still nice condition.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nice find! I just so happened to shoot my newly acquired M28/30 on the 4th as well at some watermelons at 100 yards, needless to say the watermelon didn't stand a chance. Now I need to get some 7.62x54r brass and reload .308 bullets with it and she how much better she preforms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts