Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never buy a story without fool proof evidence.
The story:
Original rifle of a East fronter (Legion Flandern).
Rifle kept at home by the soldier at the end of the war (???) and now sold by his son (???).
So far, so good. All numbers (stock included) match, I have my doubts.
Sorry to have not more and better pictures, it is not mine but do this for a friend.
If necessary, you may use the words "boinked", "humped" and even worse ... we can take it ;).
Thank you!

·
Diamond member
1,630 Posts
I'm using a work monitor and it isn't the best thing for photo details. The bolt flat serial number including suffix letter look fine for Sauer. The stock is in the correct configuration and also appears to have the telltale smaller stock disk that was frequently used by Sauer. I see nothing wrong or inconsistent with Sauer in the photos you have posted.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
From the pics I see, what Pisgah said. Looks like a nice rifle BC, pending further ID of matching parts.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
It is missing, good eye.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two more pictures of the stock disk (he was the one I asked for how to take it out of the stock).
I'm desperately trying to convince him not to have the rifle reblued ... maybe I'll have to get me a pair of handcuffs and make a link with it from his right wrist to his left foot!
Don't spare him, I'll give your answers to him. Maybe it's not too late to see the light.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Looks like he's already overly tinkered with it BC. Somebody cleaned the wood and polished those discs. That reduced the value right there. If he reblues it, tell him he could accomplish the same thing, but save time and effort, by simply getting $750 USD cash and burning it. If he wants to pimp wood and reblue something, tell him to get a poor condition RC and have at it and let you have that rifle ;)

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,686 Posts
In the US, a reblue will render the rifle uncollectable. Not sure how Belgians feel about collectibles, but I imagine the same effect. There's nothing wrong with the blue on it- Sauer had thin a thin blue. If he reblues it, the rifle is nothing more than a shooter.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the US, a reblue will render the rifle uncollectable. Not sure how Belgians feel about collectibles, but I imagine the same effect. There's nothing wrong with the blue on it- Sauer had thin a thin blue. If he reblues it, the rifle is nothing more than a shooter.
Thank you mrfarb, I feel the same and Belgian collectors also. I think the problem is that he owns his own "mechanical firm" and may be afraid to show something that isn't "perfect". He flutes his barrels etc. himself and is extremely good in his profession, I'm afraid that his perfectionism may have the upperhand, after all he is the boss of his firm. I'm on your side :D.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Buy him something that really needs his professional expertise and efforts and have him swap that one to you ;)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Buy him something that really needs his professional expertise and efforts and have him swap that one to you ;)
Oh Hambone! I collected WWII small arms in my teens (roughly between 1955 and 1960). They invariably came from unsuspected sources, attics, cellars, barns and sheds even once from a chicken house. All of this was illegal and one day I had to choose, loose some twenty different original semi- and full autos and be punished by law or sell them to a licensed dealer and buy me legal shooters. Since then I shoot, but still knows what originality is worth to the collector. I've said this several times on these different boards (in fact I'm a JPS adept). So, I do not collect anymore but can't resist to intervene at a gun show, or elsewhere, when I hear somebody is being lied to. I don't know much but try to know if somebody sells apples for prunes.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
BC, you've found a good home here and fit in quite well ;)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
more fodder for the solman! i never have to touch a original. lots and lots of chopped, hacked, improved, cleaned, etc. etc. etc. ones around! yea the stock been had. see the tiny cracks in the outer lam? tisk tisk. here's another! some 'ace' took a mint Persian and 'improved'' it, and now I hope to have a unfired barrel for my long range sniper! ya ya ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts