Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a 2nd series nagoya 99 with the cavalry swivels?

Also a question, what is the highest serial number reported from Kokura that has cavalry swivels.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Josh :
Have just read both the old and new editions of the "Japanese Type 99 Rifle" books and it basically says the same thing, that use fo the "D" rear sling swivel ( cavalry ) has been reported randomly in the No and 1st series by Nagoya Arsenal. Nothing is mentioned regarding that feature on early Kokura Arsenal production.
Since usage of the "D" with the reported quick disconnect sling end causes buttstock damage, this is a sign if the presence of the cavalry loop is original to a particular rifle.
Also the extreme angles of the early Kokura monopod band loop made strees on the sling and loops possible. Many rifles with original cavalry loops still in place have very worn and sloppy loops.
As you can see based upon personal observations is all I can give you, you find a rifle with the "D" loop is not a common item, you have to look at it and see if it seems original to you. That takes experience from having seen originals. Having access to major collections and being able to see all these features will give you an eye to what is real or a put together of which there are quite a few.
If the price of a rifle in question is based upon the presence of a "D" loop to the seller be leery, that means that he is quite knowledgeable of its uncommoness. Not only must the rifle in question be a No or 1st series, but there must be evidence on the stock of usage, otherwise there is doubt of originality.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had one offered to me, but since I am out on money I couldnt buy it(it was a no series). I am in the process of getting rid of some German items, so I may end up with a good amount of money.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Hello Josh :
Have just read both the old and new editions of the "Japanese Type 99 Rifle" books and it basically says the same thing, that use fo the "D" rear sling swivel ( cavalry ) has been reported randomly in the No and 1st series by Nagoya Arsenal. Nothing is mentioned regarding that feature on early Kokura Arsenal production. Vicasoto
The so-called "D" sling swivel pattern appears randomly on 20th Series T-99 rifles. Have never seen one on a later Kokura T-99.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
The Kokuras with the D swivel are much fewer than the Nagoyas.

I would not pay any more for such a rifle, price should be determined by the usual mum, match, wood finish and presence of rod, pod, and/or Dust cover, and overall condition.

The D swivel is not rare enough to command a premium, IMO.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it would be possible to get one of these without needing to pay premium prices? Good, I think I may get one after I get rid of the German stuff.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Josh,
You will pay a premium price for a premium rifle, not just for the swivel. To most sellers, the swivel is unknown. Like I said, the swivel pales in value when compared to the overall condition, mum, matching, wood, rod, pod, and dust cover!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope to find a good one(not to bad condition wise and not too expensive) that I can add to my collection. Do you have a Kokura D swivel?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Josh,
I'm weak in the Kokura rifles, I don't have a 20 or a 21.

So I'm looking too!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you dont have one either? I dont have any type 99 not made by nagoya. I figure a kokura may be on my want list.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob, what part of ohio are you in? I am from ohio and I havent found one Kokura made rifle here. Especially not one as nice as yours, thanks for posting.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Nice rifle Bob, good picts too.

Really well struck 20th Kanji on the receiver.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Matching mummed Kokura early rifles are tough to find, esp 20 and 21st series. I don't have them either Don.The 21st Kokura seems to be very similar to the 3rd series Nagoya they are around just uncommon not necessarily rare in original configuration.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Very nice Bob and not easy to find. Is it an assembly numbered rifle?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would love an assembly numbered rifle. I may have to do some searching around for an early Kokura.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
A "D" swivel 20th series Kokura is not representtive of the series. One would do better to find a "regular" 20th and watch for the "D" swivel variety should one come along.

Here again, one should have a definate method of collecting in mind.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ed- Yes, mine is assembler numbered... 3x,xxx range. I don't agree that a collecting focus is needed for everyone. I collect what I like and when opportunity knocks. My first Luger was a group of about 4 rigs from WWII (4yrs ago). The seller was asking about 500 for each. They were righteous and while I had never field tripped one before, I quickly added them to the collection. This rifle is beautiful and well priced.... a no brainer to snag...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Formerly Richigan, could not stay with that name, don't really care if you know my full name. I agree that series 20 and 21 do seem harder to find in decent condition with all the goodies. Never took my series 20 apart before I sold it, did not want to mess with the sling, as seen in pictures. Mine had the cavalry swivel, and was serial #28455.

I have a new set of questions about these early series Kokura rifles? Both my series 20 and 21 have no numbers on the bayo lugs, or the extractors. The series 20 does not have a number on the safety either. The numbers on the series 21 safety are done so you really cannot read them. My series 22, 23 and 24 all have numbers on the bayo lugs. Also the bolt numbers on both rifles are really lightly and poorly stamped. Also had a T38 series 26 without the numbers on the lug and safety.

Is this a common occurance? Would like to hear from other owners of these rifles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts