Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cav. Carbine Scabbard
Author Douglas I. Kerley Posted - 02/16/2005

HI; Got a real nice, like never used, cav. Carbine Scabbard. Thanks, Mr. DMala. Like every one I have seen it is dated 1935. It is brown. I wonder why it is not gray-green like the other army leather? I hammered a gun into it. The front sight almost poked through the leather. The front sight, having a vertical rear, gives a good sight picture but it would get stuck in the scabbard. The adjustible rear sight, having a sharp edge when put to the rear would also help it in getting stuck. I know that none of this matters when push comes to shove in combat. It would get pulled out. What matters is that it stayes in the scabbard when not in use.

There is a strap on it that would hook on some part of the saddle at the top. I wonder what would keep it from flopping around at the bottom? Does anyone have a picture of these guys in use?

I have several of the bandoleers that go accross the chest. They are in gray-green. They have this buckle on the bottom. It leads me to belive that something hooks onto it. Any idea what that could be? Maybe the 1934 pistol holster? Thanks Doug
----------------------------------------------

DMala Posted - 02/16/2005

Dear Doug, I am glad you liked it. I suppose it is brown because it goes together with the saddle, which I do not believe was grey-green.

As per the ease of use, I do not have much information, but I suppose that the leather may need to be broken in, and that maybe it could help some. As far as I understand the cavalry was trained to use the carbine when dismounted, while charges were made with the spear and the Mod. 1874 (I think) sabre (which I have, and it balances great despite the rather massive construction). So I am not sure if there would still be problems after repeated used of the scabbard, and when lifting the carbine from well above it, sitting on the saddle. Maybe yes, I just do not know.

The ring of the bandoleer is for attaching the NCO model of the M34 holster (gray-green), which came in a variation with a metal clip for it. In alternative I think the old Bodeo holster could also be attached there.

DMala

Douglas I. Kerley Posted - 02/16/2005

HI; I just love accessories. The little things that go with other things to make up the whole kit for use in the field. The rifle bandoleers are all over the place and cheap. They look like cavelry usage items. They most likely were for that and lots more. There are so many. [There is also a pistol bandoleer as well I would like to have. I belive that it would go much better with the 10.5 revolver & holster. I have a mint 1935 dated gray-green holster for one. (The one with the two little straps and buckles for attaching it.) (I have thought of putting it over the shoulder with a neck strap but then what would hold it down? Maybe, thread it under the belt.) I would like to find a late rework and an early original revolver. I have seen a bunch of them around and cheap too, but things just didn't come together. Maybe, even an early brown holster.] It would be nice for me to get a NCO gray-green M1934 holster to snap on to the bandoleer and run through the belt. Are the lanyards around for them?

The rifle scabbards are not common here. I have no real hope of getting an Italian saddle to go with my German and Japanese one. I have never heard of one around anywhere. I have the sword. Heavy as a "Patton" M1913 model. It's straight for thrusting in passing. The German and Japanese ones where of the older curved slashing style in WW1. [It is interesting that the Americans and Italians followed the English in the "NEW" straight "thrusting in passing" cavelry style of sword.]

Just some late night musings of an old man. Doug

DMala Posted - 02/17/2005

See the Mod. 1871 sabre below

DMala

Douglas I. Kerley Posted - 02/18/2005

HI; Great, My Italian-English translation program fails me at the moment. What I really like about the sword is the little patch of checkered backstrap and depression in the guard to remind you to place your thumb there. I have one of the nickle plated ones. I would really like one of the blued ones sometime.
Doug
DMala Posted - 04/14/2005
How about this picture:

DMala

---------
http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89562

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
From another cavalry carbine scabbard thread

Carcano
Moderator Italian Weapons Forum
Posted - 06/17/2005 : 1:32:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are uncommon, but not rare - I have two. They used to sell for $ 70 some years ago, might now go for $ 100.

Carcano
Posted - 06/17/2005 : 8:50:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worksmanship of yesteryear (much better than most other Italian leather items), and a very nice addition to any Carcano collection.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Prez1981
Posted - 03/14/2006 : 12:12:02 PM
I have seen so many M91 or M91/38 carbine scabbards dated 1935 or 1936 pop up on e-bay lately. Are these legit? They almost look too nice as a lot, but then when I read about an Italian arsenal clearing out extra stuff, I wonder if they were just unissued and are real. Any ideas? Have any fakes or reproductions been made?
Thanks,
John

DMala
Posted - 03/15/2006 : 10:02:48 AM
I have seen (and own some) M91Cav scabbards in top condition, found by a trusted friend directly in deposits of military surplus material in Italy. To reproduce them would probably cost 3-400 dollars or more in Italy now, so unless they go for higher than that, I would not be more suspicious than usual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts