Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arilar
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 3:30:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A am new in this collectors' field and everything is news to me. Have been following the discussion regarding matching/not matching m/96 specially when talking about cleaning-rods. Got my first (so far only) m/96 (1906) a year ago. Didn't have matching rod when I got home and I may have accidently "lost" it in the gun-shop while checking 3-4 of my "candidates" (possibly placed it in wrong mauser).

Got a nice little rare swedish military book from 1928 today. Found there info that rifle number 167501 (produced 1905?) is the first with a numbered cleaningrod! So.....if you have a CG m/96 with serialnumber 167500 or lower with a numbered cleaning-rod it will be a not all-matching rifle. Right?

Regards,
ARILAR

sbhva
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 4:05:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fallout from this revelation should be very interesting.

swede
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 4:15:36 PM

I would say you are correct with that statement , but there are many later guns without numbered rods as well . So , when did the Swedes stop numbering rods again ?????? You do not see Husqvarna M-38's & M-96's with numbered rods , so the transition period must be near the 1940's or earlier . Here in the USA , some importers remove all the cleaning rods & then put their import mark under the barrel . If they came in matching , no effort is made to match up the rods afterwards .

What you have is a good piece of information . Can you copy that page & post it here with the name of the book ?

The next thing we need to do is to determine which cleaning rods were made in what time perios ???? I see a number of differances in the rod nut . I have yet to see a rod with a Mauser style crown . The crown stamped on the end of the rod can be turned left , right or parallel , so we cannot tell if CG or Husky mfg. that way . Perhaps we can learn specific crown shapes for the CG & Husky rods . I see some different shoulders types where the numbers are stamped . Maybe even differant knurls on the rod nut ?

Steve , you are correct , this is really going to open up a can of worms !!!!!!

Dutchman
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 5:33:54 PM

From the 1927 armorer's manual for the 6.5 rifle (carbine) and 9mm pistol:

Klackspårsläsk m/06 - Locking lug cleaning rod

Patronlägesläsk m/06 - chamber cleaning rod

Rengöringsslutstycke m/06 - cleaning rod guide/bolt tube

Olijedosa m/12G - rifle oiler
Olijedosa m/12K - carbine oiler

All rifle cleaning rods after No. 167501 are numbered to the gun.

Wood:
The new stock (excl. barrel rail and action cut-out) are oiled with BLO
applied by a piece of cloth and rubbed in by hand. After that leave to dry
for 12 hours. Beech stocks are to be oiled twice.

Stocks are to be polished with floor wax using a polishing disc. Polish
until surface is smooth and has dull finish.

Barrel channel and cut-outs are to be covered with vasoline (lots of it).
Handguard is oiled, polished, etc, like the stock.

from April 12, 2002 email from Anders

Nothing new here but its something that may not have been widely diseminated. I have emails and chat logs with Anders with _tons_ of great info that really need to be transcribed and indexed. Anders has been our greatest single source of detailed information to come out of Sweden.

Dutchman
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 5:51:25 PM

Originally posted by arilar

So.....if you have a CG m/96 with serialnumber 167500 or lower with a numbered cleaning-rod it will be a not all-matching rifle. Right?
If these rifles had been in a vacuum since s/n 167500 you'd be correct. But they have not. They've been used, issued, cleaned in groups of rifles many many times, rebuilt, had technical orders changed at different times in history and then sold to foreign countries where ill informed owners try and swap parts to achive matching number nirvana. This is the reason we pay little credibility to whether a rifle has matching or not cleaning rod. It has become a moot issue and will grow to a mooter issue in the future as more and more rifle destroyers own and swap around numbered parts. The fact about 167500 is interesting in itself but things change in time with the innocuous cleaning rod to where it has little meaning any more. There are those who jump and shout about the ~purist~ who complain about this parts swapping and "all matching" fraud with cleaning rods (and other parts) and sometimes those jumping and shouting are foul minded individuals that have little integrity who would sell *you* a faked rifle for big bucks and cackle like a hen while he counts your $$$. The prudent course is to dismiss the cleaning rod altogether as a contributing factor when discussing "all matching" numbers.

This is, of course, only my opinion .

Dutchman

gregdownunder
Posted - 03/01/2007 : 02:19:45 AM
Thats interesting,
I had wondered why my 1901 CG had no number on the rod.

arilar
Posted - 03/03/2007 : 6:14:23 PM

Thanks all for taking interest! Swede, I here show you the book (that Dutchman has presented) and the page telling about the first numbered cleaning-rod ( on page 28). A lot of more interesting info in this book but maybe it already is known to you all?

Regards,
ARILAR

1 - 1 of 1 Posts