Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
369 Posts
Matt,
it's your bayonet mate.
I'd say take the idea as far as you are comfortable with.
Personally I wouldn't do it because -
1) I don't have the skills.
2) I'd rather own an original anything.
3) It's not like it's reversible by undoing a few screws.
4) It's an official modification and wasn't done by bubba and we don't alter that.
Don't we ?
Why is it that on this and other forums we regularly see questions about reversing official modifications that are not actively discouraged as is being done with Matt ?
I refer to those post on people wanting to "restore" their MkIII's to "original" configuration.
How many of you would look at a 1917 Lithgow MkIII with windage adjustable rear sight, volley sights and cut-off and think nice original rifle and how many would think bubba ?
One last question - how does what Matt wants to do differ from the replacement of volley sights on the P14's with reproduction parts ?

PS Matt, something you didn't address (and I'm sure it's just an oversight) is the issue of identifying the bayonet as a fake when you have completed your "restoration".

· Registered
369 Posts
A "parts bayonet" Lithy ? An interesting concept, and nowhere near as likely to be passed off as original without any stamps on it.
Finding grips and screws shouldn't be difficult, neither would having a crosspiece made up but finding a pommel might be an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.