Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every one talks about using .600 dia. round balls in there SNIDERS in 24 gauge CHEDDITE, plastic hulls. the problem that i have is after inserting them into the hulls they make a bulge in the shell that keeps them from chambering. i have tried running them back into the sizer die, but no soap! so i revert to loading them with good old .577, 58 cal. musket minnies. that works every time. question, what am i doing wrong? does any one else have this problem? if so let me know.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
What Snider do you have? British military, Trade rifle, Nepalese....? Sounds as though yours may be on the tight side which isn't uncommon with some. Probably why minnies work so well in yours. Have you slugged your barrel?
For plinking I was using a .595 cast RB. The .600 I use in Magtech brass is a swaged RB.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JB WHITE. my SNIDER is BRITISH MILITARY. MK'D behind the hammer- CROWN over VR. in front of hammer-B.S.A..& M.Co.over 1879. the chamber I-D is .625 and the bore I-D is .575. does this explain my situation to you? please let me know/ thanks. on top of the receiver there is a ( III) , also.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
How long are your hulls?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JB WHITE, the .600 round balls that i tried and would not work were cast by me out of plumbers lead, dead soft. get it from my son who has a plumbers business, really helps, when he rips it out and replaces it with PVC, instead of taking it to the scrap yard i get it, just a perk!!. when you plink with .595 , RB. is that with 24 gauge CHEDDITE plastic hulls or brass? i am going to try it, i have a mold for it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jrhead75, i cut them to 2 inches in length. some videos show guys using 28 gauge plastic hulls without cutting them, as the length they come with .600 DIA. RB'S with out any problem. would like to try them but i still think that they would have to be trimmed? plus i have no outlet for them. 2 inches is the correct length?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
2 inches us too long in all of my Sniders. I cut them back a bit...trial and error until they chamber. I've read of others who've done the same.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 inches length is not the problem, as i stated they shoot fine at 2 inches in length. the problem is with .600 DIA. RB'S plus the thickness of the plastic hull. the O.L. DIA. they are just to fat to go into the chamber even after running them into a FL. sizer die after loading. to fat. i have no problem with the 2 inch length with .577 MINNIES, chamber fine shoot fine. after 3 or 4 shots some of them develop fine burn/ pin holes in the plastic but that is to be expected. JOHN J DONNELEY in his book of cartridge conversions says to trim them to 2 inches, same with GEORGE C NONTE in his book of HOME CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS. so that seems to be the conses on the length. also the brass hulls I have mfg. by BERTRAM, in AUSTRALIA are 2 inches in length.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I started loading for a Mk III 3-band rifle that seems to have a generous chamber as it will accept brass as long as 2.010 (full length resized in Lee dies). Unfortunately none of my other Sniders will chamber such rounds and I now aim for 1.990 which seems to fit in everything I have (using approx. .577 minies). I have some original Snider ammo that has cases of 1.950" length. As to the .60 ball ammo, original specs for various Marks of Snider ammo show the O.D. at the case mouth being from 0.610" to 0.625".

Ruprecht

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.