Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use lead in their 7.5x55 reloads? I've seen a lot of loads for other calibers, but not a whole lot of the 7.5 varieties. If so, what weight (gc or not) would you recommend, and what powders?

TIA
Mike

·
Silver Bullet member
221 Posts
You will find that a light charge of No. 2400 powder, and a bullet that fits will be a good start. The K31 and 1911 types need to be treated as separate entities because of the differences in throat dimensions. The K31 needs a short bullet where all of the driving bands can be seated inside the neck. The 1911 types are more versatile and will accept longer and heavier bullets and will perform well using traditional cast bullet loading techniques. The Lee .30 cal moulds usually work well with the 7.5 x 55, assuming that you can find a Lee mould that will cast decent bullets. The Lee mould designs cast the bore riding portion of the .30 cal moulds at .299 and under. This is disasterous for most .30 cals, but works quite well for the Swiss barrels, most of which have bore diameters of .297-.299. Groove diameters may run from .3065" up through .309, and bullets need to be sized one or two thousandths above the groove diameter.

Pictures are worth many words. All of my test groups are fired from the prone position at 100 yards ... there are no "bench rest" groups here.

The following is a composite target (the backer) of a "Vintage Rifle" match course fired at 100 yards with the second load. This was the "B" course, there are 34 shots in the target. Four sighters, fired prone, and they are marked. Ten rounds fired prone slow fire; ten rounds fired prone rapid fire (70 seconds); ten shots fired standing, slow fire.

With the 1911:

I'll probably never be able to do this again:

There are ten shots, fired prone at 100 yards, same load as above, but with a 96/11 and the issue sights set at 600 meters.

The possibilities are endless.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have heard that m2 ball ammo is the correct size for reloading 7.5x55. Is this true? There are still a few places that have surplus bullets for about $80/1000

·
Silver Bullet member
221 Posts
I have heard that m2 ball ammo is the correct size for reloading 7.5x55.
If you're asking about the bullets, they will be OK. Not the most accurate, but they fit OK. The GP11 projectile mikes .308 in its fattest point.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
I have had good results with lee's 312-155 sized down to .311 ,you need to seat it slightly past the crimp groove but so what . I shoot this with and without a GC with different loads of course and will shoot well either way for me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the RE's folks. Anyone have any luck shooting lead with BlueDot powder? Would a mild load (around 10-15gr.) require a gas check? I'd love to cook some of these up for just range plinkin' and to get my Lady some trigger time behind a rifle before stepping her up to a full-power rifle load.

Bob, that is some SHARP shooting! :D especially the group from the 96/11.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
I dont have any loads with BLUE DOT without GC but heres the ones I use and have had very good accuracy out to 100 yds. 5-8 grs Bullseye, Red Dot, 231 8-10.5 grs. of Unique. I have had best results with 10 grs of Unique and 6 grs of Bullseye with 150-185 gr bullets without GC . these are in 1000-1300fps range and no leading at all with WW alloy.As I am cheap I do most of my shooting with these loads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone ever use lead in their 7.5x55 reloads? ...
I've shot the Lyman 31141 bullet in the K31 with decent results.
the bullet is a 170gr flat point gas check. I cast them from straight linotype so mine are probably a little lighter. They were lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and shot unsized over 16 grs of 2400.They were seated to the crimp groove and a good push on the bolt was needed to start the bullet into the rifling.
I find open sights to be increasingly challenging, but still managed to fire a 10 shot group of about 1" at 50 yards. Doubtless, someone with better vision (or a mounted scope) could do better.

Jack

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not much K31 experience with cast, but the 1911 and 1889 do very well with the Lee 200 gr GC with 17 gr of SR 4759.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts