Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stop in at space coast bullets and pick up 1,500 200 grain .451 45acp bullets and happy to have them. $145 was not bad as far as I am concerned. no pistol powder as of 4 months ago.

Oh, he said since they are hard cast there is no need to gas check them. Sound right?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
45acp only requires 11-12bhn to work with most target type loads. Yes he is correct about them not needing gas checks but you may need to push them pretty fast to get them to obturate.

I just saw a thread within the last couple weeks where a guy was having problems with leading in his 45acp. He was using "hard cast" bullets and was loading them light.

Personally I get the same results with my 41 magnum. I have some hard cast 210s for it and can not shoot them with light loads. I have to push them at low to medium "magnum" velocity to get them to shoot without leading my barrel.

Motor

·
Registered
869 Posts
#1 reason for leading in any gun, hands down - undersized cast bullets. You should measure your bore and make sure it's not any larger than .451. If it is, you may have a leading problem. If you are using a newer made commercial gun, it will probably be what it's supposed to be. (9mm - .355 groove) If your shooting anything older, military surplus, or any gun manufactured by some outfit of questionable quality control (think raven/jennings ect .25's) you MUST measure your bore. If you're shooting them out of a revolver, the bullet should be sized to match the cylinder throats as close as possible to allow chambering, not the barrel. I can't think of any "normal" handgun caliber that would require a gas check. (maybe the .500 s&w and all that mega stuff does, but I don't own one) Some handguns will lead for unknown reasons, even when measurements are correct. This happens much more frequently in revolvers than semi's. In that case, you may need a gas check. I have not personally owned a handgun that leaded no matter what. There is usually always a cause, it's a matter of finding it.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dan, I asked him the questions about the bore size. he really said what I was thinking which was that being a new gun with about 400 rounds of wwb through it that .451 is what it needs. older 1911's, etc., with worn bores would likely use the .452 bullet.

didn't stop today but found a few off the radar gun shops.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.