Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone load cast bullets for the 6mm Winchester Lee 1895 Navy rifle.
I picked up a box of about 200, 90gr, 243/6mm cast bullets and am looking for some loads.
The Lee Navy Jacket loads I'm been shooting are 28grs 3031 powder under a 100 grain J bullet.
And I tried 6 grs of Unique with the cast bullets but that load seems kind of light, like shooting a 22.
Has anyone used 2400 powder with cast bullets in the Lee Navy?
The Lee Navy has a fast 1 in 6.5" rifling twist. How would that impact the cast bullet and powder load? Ray

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Holy fast twist batman!!!!! If its anything like the fast twist 6.5 sweedes easiest accuracy comes in the 1500-1700 range with cast above that by much accuracy is very hard to attain but possible as folks are shooting the sweedes @2400 fps close to moa accuracy with indepth loading practices. What kind of cast bullets did you get plain base or gas checked? Ive never loaded for that caliber but the case is fairly large volume wise I'd start at 13 grs of 2400 and work up slowly if your shooting gas checked bullets that fit well. BTW how did the Unique light loads shoot? you could take that up to 10 grs for abit more speed.

With that fast twist shooting a 120-130 gr or longer 243 cal. bullet would be quite interesting for loooong range shooting if you could get the speed up enough. Keep us posted on your loads in that fast twist.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim thanks for the reply. They are gas checked bullets. I was thinking of starting with 12 grs 2400 which seems like a good safe start load for the old rifle. I probably have to keep on the lower side of the suggested loads for the 6mm Remington and 243 book loads with the rifle and I think 12 grs, 2400 was one of the lower loads.
I think the original load for the rifle was about 2400-2500 fps, with a jacketed 112gr bullet.
The 10 grs Unique shot ok and I'm sure the group would have better were it not for my eyes and the rifles sight which to me takes a little getting used to. It's just it seemed like shooting a 22 as that load runs about 1200 fps. Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting find. the cast bullets I have are marked from a #245497 mould. Not sure which mfg. They are lubed half way from the base up and I always miked the lub portion which was .244. I just miked the non lubed front portion and that is about .005 larger. Could that mould be made that way or if the front 3 lands, which would be the bore riders, had been lapped larger. Much oversize to be just dropped from the mould and only half run through a sizing die so they would fit the case neck.
I'm not too concerned of that oversize as those are thin lands and will squeze down easy.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Interesting find. the cast bullets I have are marked from a #245497 mould. Not sure which mfg. They are lubed half way from the base up and I always miked the lub portion which was .244. I just miked the non lubed front portion and that is about .005 larger. Could that mould be made that way or if the front 3 lands, which would be the bore riders, had been lapped larger. Much oversize to be just dropped from the mould and only half run through a sizing die so they would fit the case neck.
I'm not too concerned of that oversize as those are thin lands and will squeze down easy.
Probably what happened ,They ran it half way into the sizer to just lube the bottom grooves and possibly pressure from the top punch bumped up the nose some too. Again let us know how you make out.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that also but the front end appears to be way over size from what the mould should cast, at least .004 plus, that's why I thought that just the front of the mould was lapped larger. Could be both, a lapped larger mound and sized half way in order to fit the case neck.

Ok, I tried 10 rds with 12 grs 2400 today and they were all over the target at 50 yrds. They worked much better with the 6 grs of Unique, Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.