Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started loading my new cast bullet from a group buy at the cast bullet forum.Bullet is loverin style fat 30..dropping at .316 diam.
I am sizing it to .314..bullet weighs approx 185 gr with gas check installed...

I haven't noticed this before as the cast that i bought were less weight..also the style bullet tip is causing me to load them to 2.750 OAL to ensure chambering...

this is leaving anywhere from .150 to ,200 extending past the neck into the case..will this cause any problems with bullet melting, or doesn't it stick around long enough to matter once you squeeze the trigger?

thanks in advance(before I load 200 of them)

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Should be no problem, and yes, it isn't there very long.

Think of this. The powder in the case is not all ignited at once, it is lit at the base, and begins to burn foreward. As pressure rises, the bullet leaves, the entire caseful is quite likely not lit at all, even tho burn speed inxcreases as pressure rises, only maybe the bottom 1/2 to 2/3. The rest actually lights as the bullet is moving (and, quite likely) part of it is actually not in the case when it is lit, but in the barrel, pushed out by the gasses in the case that drove it, and the bullet, out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
swabbie

The one thing you need to be aware of is that some of the older gas checks were not very secure in attachment. IOW, they could fall off the base of the bullet. That's what the crimp-on gas checks were designed for. When a bullet is seated with the gas check being below the case neck there is that possibility. It will probably be blown down the bore along with the bullet but accuracy will suffer. But, there is also a possibilty that it (gas check) could be left in the bore and the next shot could result in a bulged barrel.

Just something to be aware of.

Ray

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
IMO its a non issue , Folks do it all the time me being one of them especially using the Lee 185 bullet in the short necked 7.62x39 . no leading to speak of and no other issues to mention.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the replies...I've loaded plenty..just never had a cast bullet sticking into the case so far..I can't even imagine loading a 185 in 7.62x39,but if you make it work, I'm sure not gonna worry about it

Ray..thanks for the tip...this is a new custom mold, designed by a very reputable guy at cast bullet forum...I' using Gator gas checks from there as well with a Lee sizer, and they seem to be pretty snug,but I can see where loose ones would be a problem..I have a few non crimped ones to pull from where I was setting OAL..I'll make sure that the gas check stays seated on the pulled bullets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts