Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought 100 of these, fired once, and then resized. cases came out to 2.086. do these have a shorter trim length?

I've only shot these in my m39. if lapula cases do have a shorter trim length, would it factor for use in a 91/30?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
bought 100 of these, fired once, and then resized. cases came out to 2.086. do these have a shorter trim length?

I've only shot these in my m39. if lapula cases do have a shorter trim length, would it factor for use in a 91/30?
Lapua brass is "53" mm vs. nominal 54 mm, but case lengths vary somewhat among the different makers. Unless your 91/30 is particularly sensitive to freebore aka "jump," which is not very likely, it should make no discernible difference.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Lapua brass is "53" mm vs. nominal 54 mm, but case lengths vary somewhat among the different makers. Unless your 91/30 is particularly sensitive to freebore aka "jump," which is not very likely, it should make no discernible difference.
so i'm sure of what to say to the teller, I should trim the 53r to .004 less than 54r, which would be an even 2 inches? these things will have to stretch another .014 to get to two inches.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
so i'm sure of what to say to the teller, I should trim the 53r to .004 less than 54r, which would be an even 2 inches? these things will have to stretch another .014 to get to two inches.
? Why trim brass that is already short? BTW the only rifle that is likely to need 53r brass instead of 54r is the Finn M28/30 or M28/76 with the M28/30 barrel.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leon,
thanks. just wanted to know what not to let them get longer than. these lapula shells are great. it ought to be two or three more firings before these shells get fondled by the trimmer. and the d166's with n140 have reconnected me with my m39. I had forgotten how much I like that rifle.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
leon,
thanks. just wanted to know what not to let them get longer than. these lapula shells are great. it ought to be two or three more firings before these shells get fondled by the trimmer. and the d166's with n140 have reconnected me with my m39. I had forgotten how much I like that rifle.
According to the Vihta Vuori manual, Lapua case trim-to length is 53.3 mm/ 2.098" so your cases have a lot of "growing" to do before you need to worry about trimming.

I have yet to need to trim a Lapua 7.62X53r case fired in an M39 and resized in a Forster die. I use the Lee Quick Trim cutter and body dies.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I had some new Norma "7.62 Russian" brass. It was the same way 53mm.

My 3rd Edition Hornady manual also lists the shorter case length. I'm guessing they figured it would be safe in either 7.62x53R or 7.62x54R.

One nice thing about the shorter brass is I haven't ever needed to trim it.

Motor

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have only had experience with ONE type of rifle calling for x53R brass and that is some of the M28-76 target rifles. Everything else in 'mosin' caliber was able to chamber x54 just fine. With that said, I am not a 7.62x54r nut as some of you, I mostly do swede 6.5x55...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can tell you don't be to surprised if you fire this brass in a 91/30 and it stretchs past 2.10 on the 1st firing . I trim all my brass (that has to be trimmed ) to 2.10 for my Russian rifles, works fine and so will 1.98 .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.