Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the germans used steel case ammo in WW2. Is this correct? Has anyone fired steel case ammo in their k98, and what were the results? What are the opinions of the steel case ammo coming on the market from eastern Europe?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The Germans did make and use steel cased 8mm but very little survives because of internal rust/corrosion.
The rumor is that there were millions of rounds that crumbled in Russian storage.
I've enjoyed shooting thousands of rounds of copper washed steel case 7.62/54r surplus and the modern steel case 7.62/39 as well.
Both are good stuff.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I shot those varnished grey steel cases in the sixthies and seventhies, a lot of them weren't good anymore. Collect them maybe, I will not shoot them anymore!

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
check out 'solmans gallery' (thats me).. i have a rundown on some original ammo i tested.
yea later they did steel cased. should have a 'S' on it. looks phosphate or green in colour.
sol

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have around 2400 rounds of 1940 dated steel case.It looks and fires like it was made yesterday.No rust inside or out.No extraction problems.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
With ammo that's old it's all about the moisture. And all about how and where it was or is stored. Soviet storage was not good and they paid for it as well. Steel cased stuff that was kept high and dry( desert) should should shoot OK some may be sorta slow on take off. And with any Milsurp ammo caution should be taken for sure with semi-auto's as that's a whole different ball game than bolt actions. Regards Sunfish

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,309 Posts
FWIW, I just bought 450 rounds of german 8mm last week from http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.../1630?osCsid=33ebfd3d6bcfa3a2fcc023ef3d689e39

Out of the 450, 15 were brass casings, 6 were steel casings with what appears to be a steel jacket and 13 had ugly rust on the casings. The rest are steel cased and look great, but I've yet to fire any.
Before you touch off any of that steel-cased ammo, pull down a couple of rounds and check for INTERNAL corrosion.

Problem with this ammo isn't rusting outside to inside, but rusting from the inside. By the time you see rust externally, it's too late.

Little to none of the vintage German Steel-cased ammo is actually suitable for shooting. That's why J&G is selling it as "Great for Historical Collectors!"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before you touch off any of that steel-cased ammo, pull down a couple of rounds and check for INTERNAL corrosion.

Problem with this ammo isn't rusting outside to inside, but rusting from the inside. By the time you see rust externally, it's too late.

Little to none of the vintage German Steel-cased ammo is actually suitable for shooting. That's why J&G is selling it as "Great for Historical Collectors!"
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts