Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
There was limited distribution of a .22 caseless round called the .22 Voere. I think it also had electric priming, but I'm not sure of that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't know they made them in .22. A number of years ago one of the gun manufactures came up with an idea for a caseless round. I don't remember the man. or the caliber but the one I read about was for a bolt action rifle. I'm not sure if it took a special gun or could be fired in any bolt action, it was a slug mounted to a special powder composit. Once fired there was nothing to eject. As memory serves me it never cought on.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read something in guns and ammo mag but I was thinking it was a dumb idea. Do you have to have the right gun? The guy said he got the stuff from a action web-site. He hasent got it yet.

But I do want to know everything.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look at it HOW the hell dose that stuff work>> NO primer??

I will call the guy and see if I can get more info.
Thanks Vulture that is the web-site.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If memory serves, this ammo features a cellulose (thereby combustible) 'casing' that was electrically ignited, and required a special firearm. I do not think that this ammo could be used in any rifle but those specifically chambered for it.

If memory serves...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a box of VL rounds

The box is down in the basement. I no longer can get down there, but it is just like the one in the picture. If I remember right the ignition was by compression by a device in the bolt.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Daisy .22

I think the Daisy caseless .22 was a "compression ignition" round. The rifle had a piston (much like in daisy air guns) which was released by the trigger. The released piston compressed air in a chamber that was vented through a pin hole into the rear of the caseless round. This compressed air (super heated!) fired the round.

Not to good for target grade weapons as the piston movement was like the bolt going home in a slam fire weapon....but these were play guns/plinkers and a commercial failure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Compressed air ignition

If you compress air a lot, it gets hot. Dieseling in an air rifle makes use of oil and this heat.

I have one of the Daisy VL rifles. There is a lot of the ammo still around. Numrich has it as a non-catalog item. The power level is about that of a .22 short. It is not particularly accurate.

Here is one of the rifles:
http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=7128

Here is a picture of the ammo:
http://www.buymilsurp.com/zencart/i...d=1002&zenid=c78b43dc61713d9bb26faad1edb0b600

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very interesting. Don't remember anything about them. What year did they come out? Will the ammo still work? Kinda neat.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
A kid in High School got a Daisy VL for Christmas as his first rifle. We tried it out along the river one afternoon. It wasn't all that accurate. After trying out my old Browning T-Bolt, he lost interest with the VL & eventually got a Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All the various kinds of caseless ammo have serious flaws. It's an intriguing concept, but the technology to make it work reliably just isn't there.

Unless it's a muzzleloader.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts