Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Copper Bullet Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the 6.5x52 shooting newly manufactured brass from Graf, Norma and reformed 6.5x54 Mannlicher verses original 6.5 Carcano Italian brass made in the 40's. I am getting a lower SD, more consistent velocity and better accuracy with the original 40's Italian brass. I'm not 100% sure why this is happening but I do have a theory. The only difference is the brass; all the other components are the same. I have cut one each of the different types of brass length wise and there are some differences with the Italian brass being thicker. I theorize that the smaller powder space in the original 6.5 case is allowing the powder to burn more efficiently. I wanted to do the same test with the 7.35 but only had three original cases and wanted at least twenty five so I would be able to get more unbiased data with the function of the different cases. I was able to get some original 7.35 cases from a fellow board member, they are made in 1939. Why am I doing this? I really didn't mean too, it just sort of happened. Anyway, I inspect the original cases for any obvious problems, anneal them, full length resize them, chuck them up in the lathe, ream out the primer pockets to take a large rifle primer, trim to length, load and shoot. I am looking forward to seeing if the 7.35 gives the same performance results as the 6.5. For the 6.5 I’m using my M91/38 with the 160 grain .268 diameter bullet. For the 7.35 I’m using a SA marked M38 and resized (.308” to .300”) 165 grain flat base bullets. I’m trying to keep all the variables between the two calibers as close as possible.

BTW, When I ream the primer pocket to .210” I have to also take a little brass from the depth of the base of the case so I use a light load out of respect for the thinner brass on the base of the case, 60+ year old brass and my handsome face. I do not drill a new flash hole for the Boxer primer but use the existing twin Berdan flash holes already in the case. Thus, I have to remove the spent Boxer primers as you would a Berdan primer. I hope to get the range before the first of the year and I’ll post the results.

Steve

· Registered
8,643 Posts
I think original 7.35 ammo was about 128 grain bullet. I wonder how much difference a heavier bullet would do? I just sent for a swage die to swage some 130gr. .308" bullets to shoot out of my many 7.35 carcano rifles.

· Copper Bullet Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Big Ed, You are correct, the 7.35 Carcano bullet is 128 Grains but if I recall correctly, the tip of the bullet is hollow or fiber filled so it will tumble when it makes contact with its target. I decided to use a heavier bullet for two reasons. First, the length of the 7.35 bullet is 1.092" with a rather large bearing surface. I wanted to use a bullet that is similar in shape and length to the original 7.35 bullet. When I size down a .308 150 grain flat base bullet it is 1.055" long, still a little short. A .308 165 grain bullet will size down to 1.080" long with almost the same bearing surface, close but I don't want to use a heavier bullet. Second, I find the 165 grain bullet to be very accurate in my rifle. To be honest, I have not tried the 130 grain bullets and they may work well. I was going for a similar shape and bearing surface.

Steve

· Administrator
10,276 Posts
Decapping Italian cases.

The Double flash holes in Italian cases are bigger than Normal Berdan holes(albeit angled) it is possible to make a hand decapping Pin using some 0,8mm or even 1,0mm diameter piano or spring wire, set in a .200 diameter rod. This can be hand "felt" into the flash hole and the primer removed (both original and "upsized Large Rifle" ).

The other method is to collapse the original anvil (it is a "Balloon pressed" type anvil, so there is a dimple on the internal side of the web). Then drill the central flash hole from the inside, using the dimple to center the drill ( a 1,6mm (1/16th) drill held by a shank of 1/4 inch stock.) That will give a correct, decappable flash hole using normal reloading gear.

PS, don't try to FLS Military cases, more often than not, one will tear off the rims. Just neck size.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

· Copper Bullet Member
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DocAV, Thanks for the info and warning about FLS. I did FLS these cases already after I cleaned and annealed them. Guess I got lucky and didn't lose any. If I do shoot these cases more then once I'll neck size them. Right now I'm planning to use them just for testing. This has been a lot of work to answer a question no one has asked! Thanks, Steve

· Banned
490 Posts
The light tipped bullet wasn't intended to cause tumbling, and thus more destructive effect in a wound, although i'm sure it did. Like the .303 British, it was to give a ballistically superior pointed shape without a bullet of great weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.