Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a similar post on a Florida-only forum and got some great advice. I thought I would seek a wider spectrum of advice here so I will repost this question here.

I have carried a small rotation of three Spyderco folding knives since the late 80s. I have begun to look at replacements for these knives and would like to see what your thoughts are.

I am interested in your thoughts on folding pocket knives for both work and play. Unlike many, I cannot clip my knives onto my pocket (work, don't ask) so it must be able to be stuck in the pocket and still be comfortable. As well, I like a blade that is part serrated but mostly plain. Handle material that is strong, stable and can stand up to being jingled with keys, coins, shell casings, etc is a must. One of my Spyderco's has krayton inserts that have not impressed me with their length of service. Spyderco has given me a bunch of bull about replacing those inserts so I have not gotten around to sending it back. Is it too much to ask that the handle material stand up to 20 years of normal use without coming apart? I guess so. Price is also a factor as I want any replacement folders to be around $50 or under. I could go a few bucks more but not much.

This summer I picked up two knives I felt might fit my needs. First was a Spyderco Delica 4. This piece has the 40% serrated blade. I am used to this brand and it feels comfortable in hand. I am concerned about the longevity of the plastic handle material. I also picked up a Cold Steel Gunsite folder. I VERY much like this knife and feel this is everything I am looking for except for its large size in my pocket and plastic handle material. The large size of this knife fairly well yells I have a knife in my pocket and makes it hard to sit down at times as it jabs you. Still, I am impressed with this knife. Anyone want to suggest a couple others that I might consider? I am looking to have a rotation of about 5-10 knives in total. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a side note. I am still VERY much interested in your suggestions as I want to add a few more knives to my rotation. Since I wrote the above, in August, I purchased a CRKT M16-03Z and a CRKT M16-10KZ. Together the two knives cost me $50 out the door. I am testing these at the moment for usefulness, strength, longevity, etc and will get back here with my findings. The M16-03Z is a full sized folder with a plain edge spear point blade. This can be flicked open quickly and seems to fit the ticket of my needs nicely. It is light weight, well made and cheap enough that I will not cry if I loose it or break it. The M16-10KZ is a smaller Tanto bladed version of the same knife. This example is all black with a semi-serrated blade. I chose this knife for its small size, which is almost too small but works at times when nothing larger would work.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
Michael, when we were a whole lot younger I carried a Case Executive model 0041 that had aluminium handles that was lightweight, never seemed to get dull and couldn't be destroyed no matter how I tried and that included cutting sod, prying open crates and twisting fence wire between the handles. Go to http://www.wrcase.com/knives/ and look up the small lockbacks for a picture. I guess I lost it in one of the moves. Now a days I mostly carry a Schrade clip hanger that cost less than $20 bucks on sale and I abuse it on a daily basis but not nearly as bad as I did to that little Case.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the Schrade lock-back with the alloy handles that I showed you at the range seems to be a good, if inelegant knife. It was given to me by one of my interns so I cannot argue about the price nor will I cry if it dies. Still it seems a bit large for pocket carry. I recall those Al Mar knives you had when we were younger. Those were amazing but damn those are pricey these days.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
I had the Al Mar "Vulture" and my dad had a different model that I think was called the "Eagle." The White makarta handles turned the color of over-cooked egg yolk after many years of carry which made them even more beautiful in my eyes. The only problem was they never held an edge, so you have to determine which is more important to you, elegance or utility. My second most carried knife these days is a brand called Bar Creek which is very similar to that old Case in that the handle is aluminium and the blade is not serated at all. It holds an edge very well and I haven't been able to break it. Forget about trying to find one though, it's made in China (probably out of old tractor rims) and I only saw it at Wal-Mart before Christmas about 8 or 10 years ago, cost $5.99.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,573 Posts
Schrade?

A few years back i picked up a Schrade Old Timer with original pouch cheap from a pawn shop. It has a 3 3/4'' s/steel blade with Schrade U.S.A. 7-OT stamped on it. What i would like to know is are the grips bone or plastic? Its a bit heavy but built like a brick shitehouse and the best folder i have ever owned. chester.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have a fixed blade Cold Steel Culloden that I carry in its sheath around my neck.

I have a Braveheart too, but rarely use that one since it is 1/2 inch too long to be Michigan Kosher.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For years I carried a Buck 110. I hanve been on the Spyderco bandwagon for the last 8 or 9. I currently carry a Spyderco Endura 2, with a Leatherman on my belt (Yeah, yeah, I know Leatherman is anti-gun, but it was a gift...and it is pretty damned handy). I like the Spydercos because of the thumbhole. It is much easier for me to manipulate than a stud, and there is no gray area law enforcement-wise like an auto folder. It is also affordable enough that if something happens to it, I will not cry.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,287 Posts
I have a fixed blade Cold Steel Culloden that I carry in its sheath around my neck.

I have a Braveheart too, but rarely use that one since it is 1/2 inch too long to be Michigan Kosher.
What regulations does Michigan have on knives ??

G

·
I carry a buck assisted opening that I really like. I used to have a small assisted open kershaw that I really liked too, before I lost it. They both run about $50. When I'm wearing a sweatshirt I'll clip it to the inner cuff and push my sleeves up. Readily accessable without making an obvious movement for a weapon. Just cross your arms.

Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,593 Posts
I've got a whole Armada of folders. A couple of serious working knives, several name brands, and a bunch of knock offs. There are more, but these were the easiest to gather up.

The Buck #110 is at least 30 years old. At an 80's NRA Convention I met one of the Buck kids & he showed me the "new" configuration for the #110. It had rounded edges on it. He gave me his business card & told me to send mine to them & it would be so modified. I got it back several weeks later & it continues to be use exclusively for field dressing applications. It is my only really serious knife - to the point where I actually use Brasso on it and (genuine) lemon oil on the wood.

Many others are for casual carry, carry someday, or bought just because they were on sale and caught my eye.

For working knives, I'm a believer in the cheapo & knock offs. I'm also a believer that if you can't sharpen it, it's not worth carrying.

The Tanto blade at the very bottom is an example of a knife that so impressed me with its' ability to hold an edge, that I'd since bought several - given away some, lost a couple and have the rest scattered around in toolboxes, consoles & in my range bag. They cost about $5 each, and are not a heartbreak when they walk away or simply vanish - unlike a few pricey folders I've lost throughout the years - enough dollars lost to lose sleep over.

Buy a big bucks name brand for babying, but get one of the recent knock-offs for work use and abuse. The steel on the knock offs seem to all be as good as stainless was on expensive knives of 2-3 decades ago. They are relatively easy to sharpen & the $5 Tanto will cut rope all day long with only a touch up from a chef's steel to bring the edge back at the end of the day.

The small skeleton folder has a 2 3/4" blade, is 6" OAL & has no scales to bugger up. The pocket clip could be removed via 3 small star drive screws to slim it up even more for pocket carry.

G

·
I take that back my daily knife is a Gerber 22-47161 fast draw. I usually prefer a clean edge, no serrations. Pia to sharpen well when they get dull.
Jim

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I like what the serrated edges can do I too find them a pain to sharpen and for my purposes they lessen the functional value of the knife. After buggering up serrations I find it safer just to send the knives back to the maker to get resharpened. That is a pain and expensive thus I have been moving away from serrated knives. As well, they shred up things like fruit, meat, bread and to be frank that is what I do must of my cutting on.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
The serated edge is for cutting fibrous plants and things such as rope. My Schrade is half serrated and it makes cutting things like palm fronds much faster and easier. Spyderco makes a sharpener called the sharp maker that does a great job, which makes sense since they produce most of their knives with at least partial serration.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
For the last couple years a carried a S&W SWAT folder. Served me fine all over the world.
Before that i had an Al Mar Quicksilver.

Brgds, A

·
Registered
82 Posts
MJL,

I noticed that you said you can't carry clipped to your pocket. Have you ever tried "Felony Carry" with a folder? If you haven't heard of it I will describe it. Its easy to access, comfortable, and nobdoy can see it. They call it felony carry because its been missed by cops in this position in quick frisk searches.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey, weird question. Any of you guys have one of the old "bottle opener" Kershaw Talons? A guy that used to teach me Jiu Jit su had one and he died a few months ago, I always wanted one but can never find one.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MJL,

I noticed that you said you can't carry clipped to your pocket. Have you ever tried "Felony Carry" with a folder? If you haven't heard of it I will describe it. Its easy to access, comfortable, and nobdoy can see it. They call it felony carry because its been missed by cops in this position in quick frisk searches.

No, I do not think I am aware of this method or perhaps I know of it under another name. Regardless, any carry, except full cover, is not an option for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have been carrying a Gerber BabyGator for the last ten years.It has given me good service.
Clark

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, I do not think I am aware of this method or perhaps I know of it under another name. Regardless, any carry, except full cover, is not an option for me.
Ok,

This was popularized by Bob Kasper, the former editor of tactical knives, you take the clip and slip it behind your belt buckle with the knife around where your belly button is. it can dissapear even wiht a shirt, tie, and trousers and if you have something like a polo shirt slightly untucked, even better. Its been known to be missed by cops a fast frisk searches. I had a combatives instructor, a veteran NYC cop who always said to me that this was the better way to carry a folder because you guys with them in your pockets are pretty much waiting for you to have your knife taken away from you....... But MJL, try this and see if its comfortable, I use this because in NYC it can't be seen either. You might like it. Try it for a few days ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts