Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I would like to see or read a good tuto on how to take down and re-assemble the bolt of my Carl Gustaf 1917 ......
it is the original COC ( cock on closing ) bolt if that matters .......
Can you please point me in the right direction ?

thanks for your help
stef

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm stock at #6: " Push the bolt stop to the left and remove the bolt. "

it seems to me the bolt stop can only be pulled toward me, there is nothing to be push to the left there.... what am I missing ? edited : OK I see now , it means the same thing...

but now the bolt still won't come out with the safety up, ?

for the record, my rifle is a Carl Gustaf 1917 with a Douglas bull barrel and it is scoped.
(will I have to remove the scope to take down the bolt ? I ask because on the picture, it seems the bolt is straigh up ??)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your bolt has two modifications which may cause you visual comparison trouble. The bolt handle has been modified to clear the scope, so 'straight up' for you will mean the part of the bolt handle right where it comes out of the bolt. The modified handle will curve off to the right like in your picture. It looks like the vertical extension of the cocking piece at the very rear of the bolt has been removed, another common 'sporterizing' modification. The bolt stop is the pivoting piece on the left rear of the action. It pivots out and to the left on the screw at its rear. The raised piece at its front gives you finger purchase to pivot it. You must get the safety in the middle upright position before you remove the bolt. You do that with the action cocked and closed. When you unscrew the firing pin/safety assembly from the bolt, make sure you don't accidentally knock the safety over to the 'fire' position. If you want to disassemble the firing pin/safety assembly, I recommend you drill or punch a small, shallow hole in a flat piece of wood. That will hold the point of the firing pin steady for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much guys for helping me

I finally took the bolt out. the problem was I had to use excessive force to pull out the bolt. strangely this bolt slides out easily when the safety is off, but I had to pull very hard to remove it with its safety up....( like a 10 pound pull maybe)
iyo was it the dirty bolt or the dirty action that was the culprit, or maybe it's normal ( I doubt it...) ?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
thank you so much guys for helping me

I finally took the bolt out. the problem was I had to use excessive force to pull out the bolt. strangely this bolt slides out easily when the safety is off, but I had to pull very hard to remove it with its safety up....( like a 10 pound pull maybe)
iyo was it the dirty bolt or the dirty action that was the culprit, or maybe it's normal ( I doubt it...) ?
It is not normal to have to pull that hard to remove the bolt. Since your rifle has been modified, no telling what has been done to the trigger and sear. Does the trigger have two stages?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
2 stage trigger

Here is a photo of the two stage trigger . Notice two humps on top . Pulling it to the 1st stage lets you know how close you are before releasing the cocking piece & firing pin . Next stage drops the sear from the cocking piece & the firing pin moves forward . With only one stage , you drop the sear directly . Takes some time getting use to it .

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Here is a photo of the two stage trigger . Notice two humps on top . Pulling it to the 1st stage lets you know how close you are before releasing the cocking piece & firing pin . Next stage drops the sear from the cocking piece & the firing pin moves forward . With only one stage , you drop the sear directly . Takes some time getting use to it .
Not a few Swedish Mausers have been victimized by "bubba" and have the first stage trigger cam filed down in order to get a sporter-type single stage trigger. My first Swedish Mauser, a HVA M38, was so modified, so I had to replace the trigger.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
Yes , you can see where he ground off one hump to make it single stage . If you like it , OK !!!!!!!!! If not , it is easy to switch to a correct 2 stage trigger .

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Yes , you can see where he ground off one hump to make it single stage . If you like it , OK !!!!!!!!! If not , it is easy to switch to a correct 2 stage trigger .
Now I'm wondering if the milled down cams are letting the sear protrude a bit too high, and dragging against the bolt body, thus causing the resistance the OP reported when withdrawing the bolt from the action.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm wondering if the milled down cams are letting the sear protrude a bit too high, and dragging against the bolt body, thus causing the resistance the OP reported when withdrawing the bolt from the action.
only when the safety is straight up that is... otherwise he bolt slides easily out
I will clean the bolt and the action and see if it cures the problem...

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
only when the safety is straight up that is... otherwise he bolt slides easily out
I will clean the bolt and the action and see if it cures the problem...
Just for laughs, remove and disassemble your bolt. Replace the firing pin so the other flat side is facing up. Normally, the serial number is up, but who knows what has happened to yours.

BTW this little dodge has helped some others with trigger problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just for laughs.... ya you can all start laughing at me now... I found out why my bolt wouldn't get out easily when the safety was up, and I'm not proud of me now.... simply because the safety was catching under the scope (the objective bell) ( Try removing your bolt and pushing it down at the same time :)....) me bad.

But thank you very very much for your help guys. And my bolt is super clean now.
Regards
stef

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.