Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I try to collect several separate threads under this umbrella).

Rentprop1
Posted - 10/21/2003 : 11:07:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need your help to identify what kind of Carcano Rifle , here is the info:
I know that it is a Youth rifle, and some were made for Parade only, but this one appears to have been shot.
weapon is approximately 30" overall length. BBL is 14 1/2 inches.( is this a problem with OAL and/or BBL length ??? ) BBL is rifled. Bore diameter approx 268. has adjustable sights. stamp on right side of stock is a circle with the words FABGNA D'ARM------BRESIA, some letters unreadable. this number is inside the circle-7038. on the BBL is 7038 and 1934 x1 also FNA Bresia. ( I would take it this the serial # and date of manufacture ?? ) Bayonet Folds under BBL. on the receiver there is
another stamped design...can't make it out.

trying to scan the pics. scanner is having a problem, anyone help me,

Ronin48
Posted - 12/01/2003 : 09:44:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Few years back I had five or six youth rifles. One had a rifled barrel. Friend miked bore, modified a pistol shell to fit chamber, poured led balls bore diameter and we shot the thing using primer ONLY for charge. Fun to shoot, unfortunately I let it go. Old too soon, smart too late.

Author Topic
Ronin48
Posted - 12/01/2003 : 4:44:29 PM
Need mag housing, screws and buttplate (cleaning rod'door') for 1938 Grizian Verona, F.M. B. #34513. Have passed up junkers in the past

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ronin48
Posted - 03/06/2004 : 6:00:14 PM

"BALILLA, The Italian Youth Carbine, F.N.A. versus NVCB: so similiar, yet so different" by Ron Azzi in the next issue of the Military Rifle Journal. This 7-page comparison of the two Ballilla is worth of publication in any Gun magazine, thankfully Ron chose MRJ.

I normally don't do this but for members of this Board you can buy the April issue for $3.00. Regular subscription price is $36 for 12 issues so you are getting it at the subscription price. We need to know if you want one by the 12th of this month (March) so extra copies can be run. Add a dollar for postage if in Canada, $2.00 if overseas. E-mail me and then get your check in the mail. Ron did an excellent job.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ronin48
Posted - 03/31/2004 : 08:47:45 AM
May issue of Military Rifle Journal has an excellent article on the Italian Youth Rifles by Ron Azzi, excellent "photos." Ron called last PM and in the conversation he told me there was no camera involved, he used a $99 scanner. Put the object directly on the scanner! Something to think about.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures were gone, alas

Andy Gordon
Posted - 12/04/2004 : 9:41:40 PM

This is a youth rifle, proofed by the Fascist Youth League, made in 1934.

Download Attachment:
241.08 KB

Download Attachment:
262.16 KB

Download Attachment:
256.21 KB

Andy Gordon

DocAV
Posted - 12/07/2004 : 8:11:48 PM

Very Good example ( Stock mark is FNA Brescia) So this would be the "Teenager's Youth Rifle" (fires a cartridge similar to the 5,7 Johnson Spitfire, aka .22/.30 M1 Carbine).

The Rifle is a 7/8th Copy of the Standard issue Cav. Carbine, and fully functional. There is even a Miniature 6 round stripper Clip for it. (Clip and cartridge rare as Dinosaur Bird Teeth)

Usually Issued to 14-17 year-olds in the GIL (Gioventu' del Littorio). This was the last step before getting a Full sized Issue Carbine at about 17-18 years of age.

The other, smaller, and more cheaply made "Balilla" Youth Rifles used Cast Zinc Parts, and only fired either a .22 Short type cartridge, or a 6mm Blank. (For Youth in the 10-14 year bracket)

Regards, Doc AV

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DocAV
Posted - 02/11/2007 : 7:29:47 PM

One reason for the Trigger-Guard magazine box being a "missing Item" is that they have disintegrated...some of the smaller (younger issue) Balilla carbines had diecast Zinc-Magnesium alloy (Zamac or Mazak) parts, rather than bronze or steel machinings. This alloy, if not properly compounded, tends to swell and then disintegrate with age, and a good "bump" will see the affected part rendered into a pile of metallic dust very quickly...It happens to the priming arms of very old Single stage presses made in the 1950s and early 60s ( similar alloy).

As described in various publications, the grading of types goes from the Blank cap firing very young carbine ( ages 6-10), through the .22 ( 6mm Flobert) Blank firer, to the "miniature" cartridge case centerfire 6mmx30( use a .30 Carbine case to form this ammo sucessfully, just like a 5,6 Spitfire) and it has its own miniature Carcano clip...Rocking Horse Apples these days!!! This last carbine was for 14 year olds up to about 17, when they graduated to the full size M91 or M91/38 carbine, and were already "pre-Military service" style recruits.

I would say your example is of the very young (6-10 year-olds), and used a " cap" type blank, made of paper and some metal. They were known, even the best models, for the use of Alloy castings of the "magazine" ( which was only there for show, anyway)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts