Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently acquired a Carcano that I was told was an M28. After some research, I'm not certain if it is. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

What I do know:
1939 F.N.A:Brescia manufacture. 47 FAT rearsenal
Rounded (not blocky) receiver/barrel area (where the markings are)
36" length
I was told it was 6.5mm but not sure how to verify. The barrel appears to be the same diameter as my M41 Carcano.
Adjustable sights. When it came, it only had the sight base, it did not have the sight ladder. I bought a ladder on eBay and added it. It fits, however if I slide it forward completely to use the fixed combat sight, the ladder does not fit into the wood groove.
No hand groove in the side of the stock. Sling rings only on the bottom of the stock.

I've attached 3 pictures of the rifle. I can take any more as needed or of specific areas.

Thanks for your help!

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
It's one of the late M91/28s. 6.5x52 caliber. I think you got a rear sight for an M41, but airdale will know for certain.

A nice piece of wood for 1939! What is the letter prefix to the serial number? Don't need the entire serial number - just the letters. SW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the identification. I wasn't sure if M91/28s were still being produced in 1939.
The rear sight is graduated up to 15. The rear sight on my M41 is only graduated up to 10. The rear sight is a little loose and wobbles to the touch.
This one is A5xxx.

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
PanzerKnacker has it correct. Late M91/28 TS, with 1937 pattern Round shank barrel.

Check to see if it has RM (Italian Navy) Crest Marks on Wood. Shield divided into 4 quarters, for the original four(Medieval) Maritime Republics-- Genova, Venice, Pisa and Amalfi--Canvas sling points to Naval Issue.

Nice op0ne: the rear sight is a M41.(longer)

Doc AV

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
M91/28 production was believed to have ended in 1938, but there seems to be a block that was made in 1939 after M38 production began. Little is known of it at the moment. Your A letter prefix is consistent with other 1939 M91/28s we have seen. SW

·
Diamnd Bullet member
409 Posts
The difference in the 91/28 and 41 rear sights is the sight base. The folding ladder part should work on either. I think your problem is the handguard, it looks like a replacement and the notch is not cut correctly.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
Here's a pic airdale sent me to post. It shows handguards using the short rear sight all have the same cutout. M91 long rifle and M91/24 TS are different. Meaning your handguard has been made by hand at some point. I noticed it's of different wood than the stock proper.

Sometime you will have a chance to score the right handguard. That or you could try your hand at altering the one you have. Presently it's sufficient for display purposes. SW

·
Diamnd Bullet member
409 Posts
In my opinion you need a handguard or modify the one you have to fit. Your handguard seems like it is set too far back on the rear sight. The area where the tension spring rest is also crudly cut. Measure your handguard and check the lenght, it should be aprox. 10 1/8" long.

·
Diamnd Bullet member
409 Posts
Here's a pic airdale sent me to post. It shows handguards using the short rear sight all have the same cutout. M91 long rifle and M91/24 TS are different. Meaning your handguard has been made by hand at some point. I noticed it's of different wood than the stock proper.

View attachment 775438

Sometime you will have a chance to score the right handguard. That or you could try your hand at altering the one you have. Presently it's sufficient for display purposes. SW
Steve, thanks for posting the pic for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion you need a handguard or modify the one you have to fit. Your handguard seems like it is set too far back on the rear sight. The area where the tension spring rest is also crudly cut. Measure your handguard and check the lenght, it should be aprox. 10 1/8" long.
From the front to the farthest point of wood (under the sight ladder adjustment knob (tension spring??) is 10 3/16"

·
Diamnd Bullet member
409 Posts
The reason I asked the lenght is because the rear of your handguard stops at rear end of the folding sight hinge pin. On all of my adjustable short rear sight rifles the handguard stops an 1/8" foreward of the pin. I think someone tried to make your handguard or modify an existing M38TS handguard.
Finding an original M91/28 handguard will probably be difficult. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.