Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Carcano M91 Moschetto di Cavaleria
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I finally decided to strip down the M91 Carabine I bought an 1893 Brescia model, there was a very slight presence of surface rust with cleaned up beautifully.
The only issue I have is getting the cocking piece back on the bolt properly, event though I lined up the markings and was able to screw in the Nut properly, I have not understood how the videos show that you have to pull back and let is set on the notch.
When I try that there is no way to secure the nut or I have to remove it again in order to place the cocking piece.
What is the proper way to reassemble the bolt?
I also notice some marking under the barrel, was wondering what those are.

Wood Record player Gadget Publication Rectangle
Air gun Trigger Wood Musical instrument Shotgun

Material property Bullet Gas Cylinder Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
See if this helps: If the firing pin and safety catch are not properly aligned before the cocking piece is slipped over the firing pin, the threaded portion of the firing pin will not protrude far enough for the cocking nut to fully seat. The end of the firing pin will protrude slightly from the end of a properly installed cocking nut but will remain recessed if improperly installed. I have had more than my share of trying to get everything lined up properly when reassembling a Carcano bolt. It can be frustrating. Good luck. Ralph

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See if this helps: If the firing pin and safety catch are not properly aligned before the cocking piece is slipped over the firing pin, the threaded portion of the firing pin will not protrude far enough for the cocking nut to fully seat. The end of the firing pin will protrude slightly from the end of a properly installed cocking nut but will remain recessed if improperly installed. I have had more than my share of trying to get everything lined up properly when reassembling a Carcano bolt. It can be frustrating. Good luck. Ralph
I will make a video so it is easier to explain and show what is happening, Either I have the firing pin and spring in there wrong somehow or am missing something obvious. In most of the videos after they line up the markings they screwn down the nut but one last thing is they seem to pull back on the cocking piece and slide it over the notch. I cannot do that the way I put it back together. The problem with allot of videos on youtube is assumed knowledge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you took it apart you de-cocked it. If I remember correctly you have to hold the front of the bolt and I took a pair of pliers (with a cloth protecting) on the cocking knob and pulled away and turned when pulled to cock it.
Why do so few of the videos show that, most seem to just pull it manually over the notch despite it being locked down by a tightened nut. I will try that but I had tried with some serious force and it did not work, the cocking piece is always to low on bolt and does not align properly.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts

There are a couple of more. Pay close attention to the position of the flat spot on the firing pin. It has to be perfectly aligned to allow the cocking piece to slide down over it. When you get it right it will work perfectly. Just takes a bit of practice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There are a couple of more. Pay close attention to the position of the flat spot on the firing pin. It has to be perfectly aligned to allow the cocking piece to slide down over it. When you get it right it will work perfectly. Just takes a bit of practice.
Hi, thank you so much for that, the part I was missing and figured out the other night is once you positioned the cocking piece you have to recock the gun before inserting the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.