Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posted - 05/28/2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bruce98k
Pickup up decent 91/28 wiht these marks. I have never seen this stamped on a Carcano. Any thoughts?

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/bruce98k/2006528211127_DSCN3600.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - bruce98k on 05/28/2006 9:12:38 PM

Arditi
Gunboards Super Premium Member

443 Posts
Posted - 05/28/2006 : 9:28:22 PM

Naval mark. There was some early belief that these were marked to the San Marcos Marines...? I think the general consensus is that they are "naval" marked now. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Neat rifles...is yours imported? Arditi

Edited by - Arditi on 05/29/2006 11:38:40 AM

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/28/2006 : 11:09:45 PM

The rifle has "made in Italy" stamped on the end of the barrel in small letters indicating importation in the 50s or 60s. Similiar to the Germany stamp found on 60's import 98ks and 33/40s.

micmacman
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
980 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 09:16:16 AM

Bruce,thats an awsome piece,could you be so kind as to posting a pic of the whole rifle?

pull my finger

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 6:10:53 PM

Here are 4 more pics of the entire gun as requested. I am interested in trading as I only collect 98k rifles. Thanks.

marysdad

USA
808 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 11:47:07 PM

Yup. Naval cartouche on the stock too. It's the small cartouche with the four-quadrant shield.

Whenever there is a simple error that most laymen fall for, there is always a slightly more sophisticated version of the same problem that the experts fall for. Amos Tversky

http://www.worldbayonets.com
C & R 03 FFL
NRA Life Member

DMala

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2006 : 1:15:22 PM

Was it made by Beretta in 1929? That's the nicest anchor stamp that I have ever seen. The anchor indicates navy issue. The meaning of the partitioned shield stamp is unknown. Is the shield stamp on the stock identical to the one on the metal with respect to the contents of the four quadrants? From the picture it looks like it does not, but I am not 100% sure. Thanks and congratulations for the nice find.

DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2006 : 9:19:31 PM

Maker mark is F.N.A. BRESCIA, 1934-XII.

DMala

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 06/01/2006 : 10:27:14 AM

Thanks. This is the earliest navy-stamped TS made by FNA available in my records.

Would you be so kind to clarify:

1) the contents of the partitions within the shield stamp on the stock (for example, clockwise from top left: -, blank, -, blank)

2) if the sling swiwels are only on the bottom, or on the side too.

Thanks

DMala

http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=167140

Edited by - bruce98k on 05/28/2006 9:12:38 PM

Arditi

443 Posts
Posted - 05/28/2006 : 9:28:22 PM

Naval mark. There was some early belief that these were marked to the San Marcos Marines...? I think the general consensus is that they are "naval" marked now. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Neat rifles...is yours imported? Arditi

Edited by - Arditi on 05/29/2006 11:38:40 AM

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/28/2006 : 11:09:45 PM

The rifle has "made in Italy" stamped on the end of the barrel in small letters indicating importation in the 50s or 60s. Similiar to the Germany stamp found on 60's import 98ks and 33/40s.

micmacman

USA
980 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 09:16:16 AM

Bruce,thats an awsome piece,could you be so kind as to posting a pic of the whole rifle?

pull my finger

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 6:10:53 PM

Here are 4 more pics of the entire gun as requested. I am interested in trading as I only collect 98k rifles. Thanks.

marysdad

USA
808 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2006 : 11:47:07 PM

Yup. Naval cartouche on the stock too. It's the small cartouche with the four-quadrant shield.

Whenever there is a simple error that most laymen fall for, there is always a slightly more sophisticated version of the same problem that the experts fall for. Amos Tversky

http://www.worldbayonets.com
C & R 03 FFL
NRA Life Member

DMala
GunboardsCom Silver Star Member

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2006 : 1:15:22 PM

Was it made by Beretta in 1929? That's the nicest anchor stamp that I have ever seen. The anchor indicates navy issue. The meaning of the partitioned shield stamp is unknown. Is the shield stamp on the stock identical to the one on the metal with respect to the contents of the four quadrants? From the picture it looks like it does not, but I am not 100% sure. Thanks and congratulations for the nice find.

DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).

bruce98k

297 Posts
Posted - 05/31/2006 : 9:19:31 PM

Maker mark is F.N.A. BRESCIA, 1934-XII.

DMala

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 06/01/2006 : 10:27:14 AM

Thanks. This is the earliest navy-stamped TS made by FNA available in my records.

Would you be so kind to clarify:

1) the contents of the partitions within the shield stamp on the stock (for example, clockwise from top left: -, blank, -, blank)

2) if the sling swiwels are only on the bottom, or on the side too.

Thanks

DMala

http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=167140

·
Administrator
9,326 Posts
Anchor Mark '91 Carbine/TS

Four partitioned Shield mark:
Naval Surcharge on the Italian Flag...Effectively the Royal Italian Navy Ensign:
( and it remains the ensign of the modern "Marina Militare"--without the Crown))

The Four partitions refer to the four medieval (c.1100-1500) "Repubbliche Marinare" ( Maritime Republics) of Genova, Venezia, Pisa and Amalfi...whilst 3 of them are still major coastal Port cities ( although Amalfi is a Tourist centre), Pisa is now landlocked, the river delta having moved out sufficiently to preclude anything but small river navigation.

Whether it definitely refers to issue to "Battalione San Marco", is unclear, as the mark was used for the Accademia Navale at Livorno (Leghorn), and other Naval Training installations.

More likely a general "Naval" property mark.

The Normal "Cross of Savoia" found on ordinary (Army) issue M91s ( as an acceptance mark)
is the Red Cross of St.George on a white shield, ( in metal stampings there are no colours, of course) surmounted by the Royal Crown). This is also found on the Royal Ensign, used by the RE.

I have a M91 TS(WWI Conv) complete with Four-partitioned Butt stamp, and also the Naval Issue Mill web M1907 sling ( a lightwight version of the SMLE Mills web sling of WW I and II)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
Thanks guys! I have a '91 bayonet with this stamp on the crossguard. Always wondered what it was.

- Best regards! Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts