Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies, I'm tired. So, I might not type everything coherently.

I recently saw an M91 with Austrian altered rear sights and posted the rifle. The M91 is a "Balkan" rifle or "Romanian Import". I was curious about how the rifle, and have been curious about a WW1 Austrian captured 91/38 rifle I own. I did a Google search, and found some information on the following link. In the short article, it is mentioned that Bulgaria converted M91s and 91/30 rifles into carbines in the late 1950s and early 1960s. This would make sense as the M38 styled 91/30s are marked as 91/59. I guess the 91/38s would have been the M44 equivalent (or, perhaps, the M44 sleeve was easier to use for an M91 conversion to short rifle).

I don't know how old the site is....the main page shows copyright 1997-2014. The Bulgarian connection to 91/38s wasn't postulated on here until after 2014. But, it seems, somebody knew of Bulgaria producing the 91/38s and 91/59s prior to 2014 (possibly).

Below is a photo of my rifle which shows Austrian and Hungarian markings, and a link to the article. It's interesting as it shows various wars and weapons used (Mosin usage included). The conversions are mentioned towards the bottom half of the page. It's in chronological order, so just follow down to the 1950s

·
Registered
315 Posts
Interesting. Always something new to learn. I have an M91 with the Austrian War Booty stamp. It is in a Finnish stock as I recall. Would have to double check. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The site is a little odd. Under the Mosin carbine section, the 91/59's and 91/38s are listed, but they don't state those were produced in Bulgaria. They fiddle with the Czech theory.

·
Diamond Member
7,183 Posts
The site is a little odd. Under the Mosin carbine section, the 91/59's and 91/38s are listed, but they don't state those were produced in Bulgaria. They fiddle with the Czech theory.
Good site that has been around for a long time. Info is a little old. Good overview on SCW stuff (y)

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good site that has been around for a long time. Info is a little old. Good overview on SCW stuff (y)
It must be compositions from different people. In the Bulgarian section, the 91/59s and 91/38s are listed as late 1950s early 1960s Bulgarian conversions. Under the Mosin section, the authors are unsure as to who did the conversions.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,876 Posts
The Czech theory got disproved by comparative Bulgarian stamps on other items and firearms.

They had the M44 bayonet arrangement until nearly all of these were removed at some point prior to export. I used to own one of the only examples I knew of that retained its M44 bayonet, lug and sleeve.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Czech theory got disproved by comparative Bulgarian stamps on other items and firearms.
Right. But, somebody (who wrote the Bulgarian section) knew years ago that Bulgaria produced these. That was the point of me linking the article.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts