Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Inland Carbine at Anniston a few weeks ago. Serial number is in the 83,000 range. I know that has to be early, but any idea how early?

Also, I had read a post somewhere, not here, probably at the CMP Site about ammo pouches being sold as original and marked Biscayne Tent and Awning CO. Inc, 1943. The post was how perfect they were, and questions about originality.

Now maybe this is old news, since I know little about the carbines, and less than nothing about the accessories. Anyway, I figured I needed a sling and oiler, mags, and a pouch. I ordered same from SARCO. The mags were on back order, and I just got around to rigging the sling and oiler. I noticed that the pouch was wraped in a plastic bag, and had a "Made in India" tag on it. Guess what was written on the back. Biscayne Tent and Awning CO. Inc. 1943.

Now I'm not upset with SARCO, there was no representation that they were original, but I think there might just a bit of misrepresentation out there with some resellers, so watch out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Your Inland M1 carbine in the 83000 serial number range was manufactured approximately in September 1942, give or take a couple of months. If the barrel is original, it will have Inland markings with a month-year date. This only dates the barrel but helps in determining the time span when the receiver was manufactured.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's a mixmaster. The barrel is a Saginaw. Another one I have is in the 400,000 range, with an Inland 6/43 barrel. It's in what I was told is an M2 stock.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I have a few Biscayne 1943 dated pouches in my collection. All are old purchases and are original. There are still un-issued pouches out there, and some are in perfect condition. As far a reproductions I have not seen any of these reproduced. Here is a photo of the markings on one of mine. If you refer to my post on carbine pouches you can see a complete list of all the pouches in my collection.

JIMMY C

·
Registered
493 Posts
The easiest way to tell if your M1 carbine stock is an M2 stock is if the stock is inletted on the forward left side of the top of the receiver for the selector switch. If you see a slot in that part of the stock, it's an M2.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My repros are a bit different. "AND" instead of "&", single stitch down the side instead of double, and the button back is offset under the 1 instead of the 3. The back of the button looks a bit different too. Color and fabric look the same or real close. I'll try to get a pic and post it. Also noticed that mine does not have a "." after the "inc"

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Carbine Pouches

Hello SpringBank. Sorry to hear that you got taken on your carbine pouch. Biskane Tent & Awning marked pouches are fairly common. One way that I can tell a real from a fake is that the outside of the snap has "Kwik Clip" stamped into the metal in very small print. There is also the smell. If it smells mouldy/old then its probably original. I know that probably sounds weird but it saved me from buying a fake stock pouch! Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts