Gunboards Forums banner

carbine ammo

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  chevyguy76 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

What is us made ( assuming its lake city) 30 carbine ammo going for these days. There is a good amount of it coming up on a local auction. Its on striper clips and in bandoleirs. 340 round lots and 1080 round lots in an ammo can.

Thanks

#3 ·
Just a word of caution about "Lake City" .30 Carbine ammunition.

Te Chinese made a whole bu**wad of Lake City - marked .30 Carbine ammunition which is externally totally indistinguishable from the Lake City military production. (Headstamp: L C with a two digit date, in the same font, size, and spacing as the military production headstamp).

Some of it even came into the country in chargers and in bandoleers that are indistinguishable from the military ones..

The big problem is that this Chinese-made ammunition is CORROSIVE PRIMED, which can come as a BIG shock to someone who puts some of this stuff through his Carbine and since 'all' the US .30 Carbine ever issued was non-corrosive, decides the rifle doesn't need to be cleaned right away.

The Chinese stuff is Berdan primed, though, and all you need to do is break down one of the rounds and determine the primer type to figure out how you need to treat it.

#10 ·
Some of it even came into the country in chargers and in bandoleers that are indistinguishable from the military ones.
I was offered a lot of this by the Importer "back in the day" and did buy more than a few cases. None of it came in
Clips and bandoliers. Of course some gun show guy could package it up that way, as the cases and boxes looked
NOTHING like USGI.

#14 ·
I bought several tins of the Chinese LC52 and shot it in one of the Korean import M1 carbines back in the time both were cheap to buy. I fired up the tins over the years and only cleaned the bore/chamber never broke the rifle down or cleaned the gas piston or gas chamber. Years later when I heard this stuff was corrosive I went into the gas system and found no corrosion effects. Maybe the different lots vary, but I would say the stuff I had was not corrosive. It was always sure fire and accurate. I still have five or six boxes of the stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.