Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What is us made ( assuming its lake city) 30 carbine ammo going for these days. There is a good amount of it coming up on a local auction. Its on striper clips and in bandoleirs. 340 round lots and 1080 round lots in an ammo can.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Just a word of caution about "Lake City" .30 Carbine ammunition.

Te Chinese made a whole bu**wad of Lake City - marked .30 Carbine ammunition which is externally totally indistinguishable from the Lake City military production. (Headstamp: L C with a two digit date, in the same font, size, and spacing as the military production headstamp).

Some of it even came into the country in chargers and in bandoleers that are indistinguishable from the military ones..

The big problem is that this Chinese-made ammunition is CORROSIVE PRIMED, which can come as a BIG shock to someone who puts some of this stuff through his Carbine and since 'all' the US .30 Carbine ever issued was non-corrosive, decides the rifle doesn't need to be cleaned right away.

The Chinese stuff is Berdan primed, though, and all you need to do is break down one of the rounds and determine the primer type to figure out how you need to treat it.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,813 Posts
Pretty sure all the Chinese is L C 52.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Those gray boxes will be marked 7.62 stamped on them. The USGI surplus should not be selling for more then new commercial ammo is. Jonny c. is right it's all marked LC 52 and will have a brass colored primer.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
Those gray boxes will be marked 7.62 stamped on them. The USGI surplus should not be selling for more then new commercial ammo is. Jonny c. is right it's all marked LC 52 and will have a brass colored primer.
IIRC there is a slight difference in the font used on the stamps,

as in you can tell the difference if you have the real stuff in hand to compare,

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Some of it even came into the country in chargers and in bandoleers that are indistinguishable from the military ones.
I was offered a lot of this by the Importer "back in the day" and did buy more than a few cases. None of it came in
Clips and bandoliers. Of course some gun show guy could package it up that way, as the cases and boxes looked
NOTHING like USGI.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronbo6

Some of it even came into the country in chargers and in bandoleers that are indistinguishable from the military ones.

I was offered a lot of this by the Importer "back in the day" and did buy more than a few cases. None of it came in
Clips and bandoliers. Of course some gun show guy could package it up that way, as the cases and boxes looked
NOTHING like USGI.
All I can tell you is I bought a couple of bandos of what ended up being the Chinese stuff from another shooter I know pretty well out of a crate he had at the rifle range I use most often, and the entire crate was full of Chinese LC52 in chargers, cardboard pockets, and bandoleers.

It would have been a WHOLE LOT of trouble and expense for the guy I bought this stuff from to repack it like this, so the conclusion I made is that it came that way.

Perhaps some distributor was repacking it. All I can say is it could be bought in bandos.

Fortunately for me, I buried those bandos at the bottom of my .30 Carbine ammo stash and never shot any of it until I discovered its origin story.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
[/I]

All I can tell you is I bought a couple of bandos of what ended up being the Chinese stuff from another shooter I know pretty well out of a crate he had at the rifle range I use most often, and the entire crate was full of Chinese LC52 in chargers, cardboard pockets, and bandoleers.

It would have been a WHOLE LOT of trouble and expense for the guy I bought this stuff from to repack it like this, so the conclusion I made is that it came that way.

Perhaps some distributor was repacking it. All I can say is it could be bought in bandos.

Fortunately for me, I buried those bandos at the bottom of my .30 Carbine ammo stash and never shot any of it until I discovered its origin story.
Were the cards and bandoliers all marked as USGI items are?? They didn't bother to copy the simple USGI box...but they made cards, bandoliers and strippers & guides? The CMP sold tons of Carbine ammo in Bandoliers...no expense at all for some guys to repack after shooting a can of CMP carbine ammo.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Were the cards and bandoliers all marked as USGI items are?? They didn't bother to copy the simple USGI box...but they made cards, bandoliers and strippers & guides? The CMP sold tons of Carbine ammo in Bandoliers...no expense at all for some guys to repack after shooting a can of CMP carbine ammo.
Well, I got some of this chinese crap years ago in the grey cardboard boxes. Learned my lesson. then two years ago I bought some mixed carbine ammo from a local guy - and he had bought most from a LGS. the Chines ammo was in the 50 rd boxes of the commercial type- and marked as GI surplus. Now, I am fairly sure the guy did not repack, and did not know it was Chinese. I did not find it until I got around to open some of the boxes a year or more later. So the Chinese stuff he had was repacked into commercial white cardboard boxes and appears to have been sold that way by the LGS, or their supplier. I will be pulling it all down for reloading sometime in the future, unless someone wants to buy it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I bought several tins of the Chinese LC52 and shot it in one of the Korean import M1 carbines back in the time both were cheap to buy. I fired up the tins over the years and only cleaned the bore/chamber never broke the rifle down or cleaned the gas piston or gas chamber. Years later when I heard this stuff was corrosive I went into the gas system and found no corrosion effects. Maybe the different lots vary, but I would say the stuff I had was not corrosive. It was always sure fire and accurate. I still have five or six boxes of the stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.