Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George's post about the carbide training machine gun led me to scan and post these images of a carbide training rifle. The cannister containing the carbide was situated inside the buttstock. Even though the inventor has a different name, the application was assigned to the Endo company located in Takazaki. It would be great if one of our Japanese board members knew who this inventor was.

C/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chip, unfortnately can't come up with anything on Kosaka Kichijiro (小坂吉次郎) the inventor listed on the document.
I guess that's not really surprising. I'd really like to find out something (anything) about Mr. Endo and his company. Between the 1920s and around 1940 he, or his company, filed numerous weapons-related patent applications, including a great many directed to those using carbide to generate gunfire sounds. For that kind of legacy, his memory should have been better preserved. I'm certain information still exists in Japan somewhere, either in historical records unknown to me or with his decendants. Also rather unfortunate was the total wartime destruction of the area in Tokyo where his company was located.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
6,134 Posts
Chip, I also tried looking up Endo Manufacturing Co (遠藤製作所) in Takasaki City, Gumma Pref., but nothing pops up on that either. This will probably have to require paper document digging.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chip, I also tried looking up Endo Manufacturing Co (遠藤製作所) in Takasaki City, Gumma Pref., but nothing pops up on that either.
Yep, you're running into the same problem I did when I first started looking back in the 90s. I'm sure his decendents/relatives are still around in the Takazaki area, but how to locate them and make gentle inquiries are the real issues now. On a related matter, I had a Japanese friend who was able to make contact with some relatives of Mr. Kaneyama whose small company made training rifles. Through this contact, I was able to gain some interesting information about him and his former company. To date, I've had no such success in searching for Mr. Endo. Such is lfe, I guess.

C/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts