Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I picked this M1890 Cavalry Carbine up yesterday at the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, VA and thought I'd share it with everyone. She is not in the best shape, the stock has numerous cracks and the rod is missing the brass handle, but it was the only long gun at the show to catch my eye. A very big thank you to Patrick, aka 1886lebel, for his advice and insight prior to, and after the purchase.

BTW, recently somebody in Northern VA grab a very nice M1936-51 from Sharpshooter's ($310) before I could get back there with my C&R - Congrats!! That was a keeper.

Regards, Shannon

Attachments

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
A great find, and great pictures, thank you!

A Mle 1890 Cavalry Carbine buit by Manufacture d'Armes de Saint Etienne (MAS) with its original barrel dated 1891 and all parts matching!

Check the underside of the stock, there should be a wood insert where the original sling swivel was fitted if it is the original stock.

The bolt has the early half **** notch, and I guess the receiver tang doesn't have a recoil lug.

Too bad the reception stamp appears to have been erased over time, but you could check the underside of the barrel where the proof mark was stamped, there should be a number indicating the month of proof next to the E stamp.

Notice the rear sight modification to allow dual use of ammuniton after the adoption of the D cartridge in 1898:
The right side steps on the sight base have been shortened for the flatter ballistic of the boat-tail D bullet while the left side steps are milled for the original Mle 1886 M cartridge. The slider has its left underside milled to clear the left steps, resting only on the right side steps. By reversing the slider, the soldiers could switch ammuntion supply.

kelt

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
6,958 Posts
kelt,

There is a 4 underneath the barrel by the E stamp ... Avril (April)
The receiver tang does not have the recoil lug at all.
The stock does have the inlet in as well.
He is going to get the cracks in the wood fixed by vonmazur :)

Patrick

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's going to be a beauty once the stock is repaired/cleaned up, and a proud sample of theses Carbines as they went to war in 1914, with only the 1904 modification implemented.

From informations gathered by "Alamas" (à la MAS) the fabrication of the Mle 1890 Cavalry Carbines was launched in November of 1890, MAS delivered a total of 90.000 pieces in 1891 (F1 to F90.000), with the 1891 barrel proofed in April, F29079 must have been delivered as early as June or July 1891.

kelt

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. I can post more pictures or Patrick is welcome to post the ones he thinks best illustrates the necessary details. Yes, I do intend to send the carbine off to vonmazur for repair.

Regards, Shannon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts