Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some interesting pic's of captured U.S. weapons from the Georgian conflict. Mostly M-4's but in the burn pile looks like a few M-249's.

Kinda strange seeing captured U.S. weapons on display, usually its countless Commie AK's and the like

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
51,514 Posts
Wonder if Bushmaster got the contract to replace them.
I too was thinking that Bushmaster will keep building them!

I think the Russians are just showing off. They found a few crates of Bushmasters in a building they overran during the conflict and now wanted to put on a dog and pony show. I've never known the Russians to be big on destroying firearms.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think there's some misconceptions out there. The rifles were part of a military aid program right before the Russian invaded the country. We (the US military) also had several HMMWV's there which the Russian military also confiscated. Like captured AK's by the US military, the Russian military has all the M16/M4's/M249's they want for training, etc. and can get as many as they want anytime. Naturally, they destroyed the rifles in-place as they have no use for them. But it certainly doesn't hurt for public relations to make a show of destroying US-made rifles as "conquering heroes" in Georgia. Kind of wiping at the last bit of US influence there. But there was no fanfare when the rifles were destroyed. They simply destroyed them and someone with a camera happened to be able to snap a few photos.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a bunch of WW2 photos showing German soldiers with 1928 Thompsons, M1 Garands, Stens, 1919 Brownings, 1918 Browning Automatic Rifles, M2 Brownings, etc.

But here's a few interesting ones related to the topic above. They depict the Russian military confiscating/seizing our (US Army) HMMWV's that were brought over for training:

And here's a couple of Russian soldiers in Afghanistan holding some captured prizes:

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
I could care about the arms, afterall they can build more. But I don't like seeing the armored Humvee being towed. That vehicle should be somewhere else where it could have been useful. Not Georgia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.