·
Administrator
11,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Very cool picture!

I wonder what kind of colorful Russian words were used the first time that guy tried to reinsert the bolt after removing it? Definitely not the the simple mosin bolt he was used to, I'm sure!

T

·
Administrator
11,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Cossacks loved the M.95 stutzens & carbines and would quickly discard their M1907 carbines if they could lay their hands on a Mannlicher. I wish this preference still existed so I could trade some of my M.95s for a couple of 1907 Mosins...

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Nick,

What was the reason for the Cossack preference for the short M95's? Weight? Balance?

T

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Cowabunga!!!

I wish we could tell what the other two dudes were carrying?

·
Administrator
11,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick,

What was the reason for the Cossack preference for the short M95's? Weight? Balance?

T
Don't know details, just what I have read on several Russian military history sites; probably all of the above. After all, any reasonable man would chose a Mannlicher to a Mosin :)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Actually most Cossacks carried the Kazacha vintovka obr. 1891g which had a barrel slightly shorter than the standard infantry rifle and the sights were regulated without the bayonet.

Dragoons carried a similar rifle except it took a bayonet while other cavalry formations and artillery units used the Karabin obr. 1907g.

I have fired both the M.95 Stutzen and the obr. 1907g carbine and found them equally uncomfortable to use (heavy recoil, severe muzzle blast and flash).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
556 Posts
M1895's

AND I REALLY get a KICK outa stooting them!
dg13

·
Registered
36 Posts
very cool pic, kinda wonder where that gun is today

·
Registered
487 Posts
Actually, if the extractor is functioning PROPERLY, it should not be hard to put the bolt back in.

I've found that 100% parts interchangeability isn't all that applicable to these rifles. Often, if I swap extractors around on 3 or 4 rifles whose bolt heads don't stay open upon bolt extraction, I can make most of them work properly again. Fixed 3 out of 4 M95M's this way - and we all know how hard it is to get replacement bolt parts for THOSE!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Claven, I've read that Austro-Hung. soldiers would use a small coin to keep the bolt head "open" upon extraction of the bolt. Are you saying that the bolt should not snap "closed" when you remove it from the reciever?? Or are you referring to the bolt staying open before re-inserting in reciever?

okay, now I'm confused...!

Thanks,

T

·
Administrator
11,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
950 Posts
On non-rework M95's I have encountered, I think only about 10-15% of the bolts will snap closed. I think the rate is a lot higher on the reworks.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,959 Posts
VERY cool photo, thanks! About 1/4 of my M.95 bolts snap shut when I pull them from the receiver, a dime works PERFECTLY to hold them open for re-insertion, and I keep one in my toolbox for that sole reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts