Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any idea what a capital "R' would indicate stamped over the barrel serial number on the left side of a dot 1944? The guy who has it says it was a duffle cut vet bringback. The duffle cut is well hidden under the band, nice looking rifle, although the machine work on the receiver is surprisingly rough for a Mauser.

The "R" is oriented at 90 degrees to the serial number, and is in a larger script size.

Pics added, see latest post

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Take some pictures and post them please.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
A Gew98? Kind of has to be a 98k..

As to dot they seemingly were one of the firms that were a true "manufacturer" and not so much an assembler, like most of the German firms, I can't ever recall not seeing a "dot" barrel on a dot rifle, and they didn't seem to contract out barrels like every other fricken mfg in Germany proper. (obviously a product of their pre-war capacity/vz program).
Anyway, I suspect your "R" is actually a two part letter and the other is below the woodline?

90-99% of observed dot's have a dot barrel (dot shield/e63/two letter code which surely represents some lot number, - very likely a steel lot identifier as every other firm since 1880's used a similar system to identify the steel source- it was easier in Imperial times as there were only 3 big mfg) Anyway, only reason I bothered to reply to this question was the "possibility" there was a sub-contractor rather than the normally seen dot barrel?

S&S/Sauer is a bigtime known barrel maker, Imperial times forward they made oodles of barrels and were a prime contractor for them, the had a funky script "ce" which as often as not the "e" is mistaken for a "R" hence my reply.. 1944 saw an end to Sauer in the 98k business so even though a longshot of astronomical proportions it did cross my mind (hell anything's possible after the swjXE sale?)

Do some pics or if that is not a possibility, is there a "dot shield" if so I just wasted 5 minutes of typing..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK

you guys almost got me in big trouble, this rifle is my Christmas present my wife has stashed away, and I am not supposed to "play" with it until December 25th. My wife just left for a few minutes, so I ran up where she has it stashed, took it out of the box, and took these pictures.

thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks like a typical dot barrel to me, nothing unusual; there should be a dot shield somewhere on the barrel (probably under the woodline as often as not the shield comes first then the code, in this case "probably” a "JR" as that is a common seen in this range rifle.)
Don't get put on the couch but on December 26 time frame drop the stock and peek under the wood and likely as not you will find the above, and likely as I said above its code is some sort of steel lot number known to only dot and of little relevance to us today.
You might seek out G/K forum and ask the latewar maniacs some questions if I didn't get you to where you wanted to be in answers, as I really don't do the latewar business much,- my assumptions are based on earlier German manufacturing procedure.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simson-Suhl

thanks, I know a lot more than before I asked the question, and yeah, I will probably take some more sneak peeks between now and the Holidays and maybe even drop the stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts