Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time making a thread on here. I have been trying to identify this shovel since I got it a few weeks ago. The site I bought it from, Sportsman's Guide, (I've heard stuff like this happening with them before, but never experienced it myself) was selling a shovel with a different image than what I got. This definitely isn't a "WW2 Romanian Sapper shovel", as all search results look quite different, more in appearance to the MPL-50.

It has no markings whatsoever. The head is serrated on one side, and has a head mounting system similar to the M1874 feldspaten. I cannot find any info on the cover either.

Could anyone help me identify this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some researching and it looks much more similar to M1874 feldspaten, but mine has a serration so I don't really know. There's an earlier thread that I read on this site today, and the OP has the same shovel. Here's the thread.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd be very surprised if it's WWI German - the ears don't look right for the M1874 ones leading up to, and into WWI - at least not to me. They are too thin and not slightly bent downwards. Also, they didn't have a serrated edge. The Danish Linnemann entrenching tool did and the French used a version of it that looks like this and was also unmarked.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
26,352 Posts
Looks post war West German to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts