Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure now is the time to get canning lids - before the rush later in the year - as it seems they're once again available. Though their prices are inching up the same as ammo prices. The name brands - at least on Amazon - are running about 70 cents a piece while the generics are about half that. Anybody have any experience - good or bad - with the generic lids?

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
Haven't tried the generics. The wal mart close to the hotel i'm staying at (western Kansas) has been getting frequent small shipments since i've been here. I go through several times a week (it's right down the road from the hotel), and have picked up a few hundred of the Kerr brand lids. A few at a time, but they added up.
Also picked up some of the "tattler" brand. They are plastic lids with rubber rings, supposed to be reusable. Going to try a few this year.
Keith

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
oh yeah the question whether you use pressure or water bath depends on what you are canning, that site I posed has recipes for about anything you might want to can..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reusable lids? Do they really work? My grandmother would be rolling over in her grave . . .

Pressure vs water bath -- As AmmoSgt points out, it all depends on what you're canning. I did some small batches last year with each type, but the pressure cooker I had only holds 5 pints so - yeah, small batches. My neighbors took down some trees that had kept my back yard in shade all day, so this year I intend to get a garden started. And I scored a big pressure canner when my sister-in-law was moving and downsizing, and decided she's no longer going to have a big back-yard garden.

Trying to get canning supplies last year was worse than trying to find ammo now - at least ammo is available if you're willing to pay the price. Last fall all the canning supply shelves were bare and stayed that way for months. No after-the-season canning sales in 2020 in my neighborhood.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,090 Posts
a lot of retailers buy them as seasonal items,

when I worked for both Kroger and Winn Dixie it was that way,

you always had a 4 foot section with the basics year round, and a big seasonal drop you pre ordered months in advance,

betting most larger chains do the same, (why tie up capital in something that sold in a short period of time every late summer or early fall,,,)

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
Ball prints a cookbook with canning recipes that will tell you if water bath can be used. If you want a handy reference to keep in the house. also gives you cook times in the recipes and altitude setting for the pressure canners (there are really only 3 settings). If you dont have a recipe already, it will also let you calculate what ingredients you will have to buy.

Several stores i've been to in the last few months have told me that they did not receive canning components last year. They may have been just referring to jars. I guess making glass wasn't considered essential.

Your grandma (or great grandma) may not have been unfamiliar with rubber seals on canning jars.

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Daughter and neighbors hit the garage sales last summer and came up with enough jars and lids to get us through this year's harvest.last year was weird -o say the least and we canned a lot more than normal.lids are the main thing to have in advance.jars can be scrounged.we are really set for this year.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
How do most people here do their preserving?.I have been doing it on the stovetop the past few years,but next fruit season I will try cooking it in the jars instead.I recently managed to find a purpose made cooker that holds 7 large or 14 smaller preserving jars at a time and I think cooks them on a 20-25 minute cycle.I will have to try and track down an original set of instructions which might take some searching I think.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am not sure what you mean about cooking in jars instead of the stove top, Is the cooker you got a pressure type or hot water bath? The pressure type will have a gauge, a weight and some sort of lock down system.
The hot water bath is good for high acid foods, the pressure is for low acid.
if yours is the pressure type you need to try and find the manual and follow directions for type of food and your location (altitude). Using the wrong method could be deadly.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
pressure cookers canning and
yes hot bath jars lids loose..
hot peppers pulling out of heat tighten lid all air forced out!

then i changed to cold packing no water.. for peppers making hot sauces lot better results!
never did any other canning just peppers!!
rule one,,,, everyone that wrote a book on it> stuck to 100 years of knowledge ,,,,cuts out waste and time useless efforts poor results!

·
Registered
467 Posts
With a hot water canner, your best bet is get the Ball Mason jar canning book. It will guide you thru all of the steps needed to can safely.
A funny story about pressure canners, I ordered one when I was living in WV. When it arrived it was in factory packaging, in big bold letters on the box it said "Not for use on Glass top stoves". Just what I had at the time.
When I moved to NC guess what stove I had "glass top"!
I now have a gas stove and hope to use my pressure canner for the first time in almost 8 years.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
Hot water cooker....jars are completely submerged in boiling water. Not a pressure cooker.
not completely submerged..
you leave loose lids > to displace oxygen ...pulling out quickly sealed no air!
if comply submerged with lids tight airs trapped in..a noo. no!

·
Registered
467 Posts
i use them on a glass top?
I am sure they could be used with out a problem, but the stove manufactures recommend against using them, they claim the weight might shatter the glass.
My friend had a glass top that shattered just when cooking a pot of sauce. I think it's a CYA thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.