Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local shop has a decent amount of this for sale (MM head stamp with a 44 date), and I was wondering if anyone has recently shot any. I can only find reviews from folks that are 10+ years old at this point and I was wondering if those non corrosive primers were still working ok since the ammo is pushing 80 years old now.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Works good still for me...but mine has been in a cool dry NM Rocky Mountain basement.

Story could be 100% different if in a Houston attic for a bit!

Buy a box and make a quick range trip..all good? Buy the rest. Not so good?..show the seller the duds and buy it all for 20cents/rd.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
+1 on Ammos advice... I shot a bunch of this years back and its boxer primed. It shot well and was decent accuracy. Was originally made for Besa MG.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,271 Posts
I still buy every box of it I find...great stuff.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. They are wanting 60 cents a round on clips out the door which isn’t bad since it’s brass cases and boxer primed as long as it goes bang. I just don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of duds at that price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've always been told that this stuff was a bit hot and would crack your stock. has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I've always been told that this stuff was a bit hot and would crack your stock. has anyone else heard this?
Loose action screws and or poorly inletted receivers crack stocks..Canadian 8mm isn’t a big risk.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Thanks all. They are wanting 60 cents a round on clips out the door which isn’t bad since it’s brass cases and boxer primed as long as it goes bang. I just don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of duds at that price.
Is it in the original boxes?.I have never seen any on clips. Maybe just put on some Turkish or Romanian clips.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it in the original boxes?.I have never seen any on clips. Maybe just put on some Turkish or Romanian clips.
I’m not sure honestly. It was in unlabeled blue stapled boxes of 15 with nickel/steel clips with a 67 stamped on the back. The head stamp was definitely “MM 7.92 44” and there are probably 8-10 boxes there. I guess it’s possible the guy repackaged it in some other ammo boxes he had laying around.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,271 Posts
Repackaged.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiosity, was this 154grn or 198grn ammo? I’ve read conflicting opinions on this as well.

·
Registered
12,803 Posts
The Canadian 8mm is by far some of the best surplus ammunition I have ever used. I have an unopened crate of the stuff (26 boxes of 44 rounds each, 1144 rounds total) that I bought in the late 60's, and consider to be my 'use last' ammunition.

I also snap this ammunition up every time I see it, and have somewhere around 200-300 additional unfired rounds.

the 154 grain flat base FMJ bullet is copper and lead. No steel core. Ranges love it.

A pretty decent proportion of my reloads also sit in fired Canadian brass from this source.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Also if you read some of the published information, the MM 44 8mm and MM 42 9mm is not WWII contract, but a decade later, for support of various causes. Hint: there is no MM listed in Canadian WWII handstamps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This was some of the first 7.92 x 57 I ever bought (late 1970s). Learned of it from a friend whom always bought live & reloaded the Canadian 9x19...since both were boxer primed & NC. It is hotter and you will feel the difference in a bolt action rifle. It should not to be used in things like a G/K43 or rifles like Gew98 with a solid-wood type stock. Another friend used the empty cases to reload with more accurate projectiles & powders, for use in his German SSGs. I think this should still be OK if stored properly and save the cases.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,271 Posts
One of the few types of ammo I do shoot in my G43.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I went back and picked up what was left of it. Another guy bought up a few boxes so I only ended up with 6 of them. All the blue boxes were gone and only these grey boxes remained. Attached are some pictures of the box, clips, and head stamp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts