Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read this today

"Perhaps one of the most shocking instances of Canadian cruelty was when they were socializing with German soldiers. They were throwing cans of corned beef across the trenches, and when the Germans started yelling for more, the Canadians responded by throwing an armload of grenades at them instead. "

Throwing bully beef at the Germans has got to be a major example of a bio chem warfare crime . The stuff is hazmat and had more of it been thrown, WWI would have ended far sooner.

Premium Member
Well, at least you youngsters didn't get stuck with C-ration ham and lima beans, or ham and eggs, chopped - and the C-rats didn't even have Tabasco, though they did have cigarettes, which were usually so dry they burned like flash paper. And then, there were the freeze-dried LRRP's...

PRD1 - mhb - MIke
I can't argue with that. Most of the MRE's and sides are actually pretty good, especially the pound cake. I used to eat the instant coffee right out of the packet. It offered a little jolt to keep from falling asleep when you are supposed to be awake.

Registered
Well, at least you youngsters didn't get stuck with C-ration ham and lima beans, or ham and eggs, chopped - and the C-rats didn't even have Tabasco, though they did have cigarettes, which were usually so dry they burned like flash paper. And then, there were the freeze-dried LRRP's...

PRD1 - mhb - MIke
I won鈥檛 argue with that! (plan B) packing McDonald lunches etc etc was not unheard of to the monthly weekend NG drill鈥檚 early 70鈥檚,when (plan A) was the C-rat other option,although the leftover excess rat鈥檚 did come in handy for camping etc after the drill weekend. 馃き馃槈

Registered
I can't argue with that. Most of the MRE's and sides are actually pretty good, especially the pound cake. I used to eat the instant coffee right out of the packet. It offered a little jolt to keep from falling asleep when you are supposed to be awake.
I think my favorite C-rat 'dessert' was the cinnamon pecan roll. SOME of the chocolate hockey pucks were OK. The canned bread was pretty bad....

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

Registered
Reportedly Germans in the Africa when made POW's were given K-Rations, and supposedly refused to believe Americans actually feed those meals to their soldiers. Later in the war they were happy to get them. One other incident, a German said he realized the war was lost when he found out that the US actually issued toilet paper with their rations. Any country rich enough to do that, and Russia too on the East front, there was no way Germany could win the war. John

Premium Member
Never had an MRE "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"
I only had a few LRRPS we scrounged occasionally. I think the Chili and maybe beef stew or hash were OK. They needed water, but could be eaten dry, I think, if you were hungry. C's were "food" as mentioned. Some we simply disgusting. Heavy to carry.
Out in the camps,we were not issued chow and got separate ration pay to buy it off the local economy-assuming there was one,which there wasn't. We scrounged or traded "genuine" VC flags and actual genuine Montagnard crossbows to aircrews on supply planes for chow.
We were authorised to send a guy a month to the gigantic supply center at Long Bien and buy a plane load of various stuff that usually got us through. He would get an impromptu couple days R&R at our C team in Bien Hoa.
We had "Project Indigenous Rations" a concoction thought up by somebody in group to issue our irregular strikers.
Consisted of a bag of rice you poured water into and carried around a few hours and it "cooked"
tasted awful to me-chemicals. There was a packet of herbs and spices, maybe some dried sausages or a can of some kind of fish "bits."
Some guys liked that stuff- I never really did.
A Camp life was complicated, but a great adventure for a kid off the farm-"Peace Corps with guns."
I managed to stay 16 months in the same camp by request and insistence. It was as far from the flagpole as you could be, which was a good thing.

Plant Cloud Vehicle Aircraft Sky
Vehicle Sky Cloud Truck Aircraft
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Food storage
Rectangle Art Font Pattern Metal
Land lot Car Urban design Thoroughfare Landscape
Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Aviation Aerospace manufacturer

Premium Member
Having never been sent to any sort of hostile fire zone, my Army anecdotes pale next to those of the combat veterans. But I will add that if you could tolerate eating the MRE cold, right out of the packet, the water activated food heater in a bag could be repurposed into a pocket warmer in cold weather.

"They say that in the Army, the chow is mighty fine."
"A chicken jumped on the table, and started marking time."

Gold Bullet member
I think my favorite C-rat 'dessert' was the cinnamon pecan roll. SOME of the chocolate hockey pucks were OK. The canned bread was pretty bad....

PRD1 - mhb - MIke
Some essential background needed to make this anecdote make sense. The German air force operated two missile wings using the Pershing 1A guided missile. These Luftwaffe units had an assigned detachment of US Army soldiers that were responsible for war head operations. My background was with the US Army Pershing and I speak German so I was tasked to evaluate the US soldiers during the NATO Tactical Evaluation.

During one of these field exercises one of my Luftwaffe counterpoints went up to a US soldier and asked if he had some C ration crackers and cheese. I asked him why he wanted these when they had their mobile kitchen out and it was serving plenty of good hot gulasch with fresh black bread.

His reply; "Ich habe Durchfall" or translated: I have diarrhea. The Luftwaffe officers assigned to the Pershing wings were old timers and knew all about their American "companions" including their C rations. He knew that nothing will plug you up faster than C ration crackers and cheese.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts