Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here for your perusal is Smith&Wesson Canadian Lend-lease revolver Serial #943947 chambered in 38 S&W (.380/200), 5 barrel with an excellent, bright bore. This revolver has matching numbers on the frame, cylinder, yoke, extractor, and barrel. The revolver has a US Ordnance Flaming Bomb on the butt with C (Broad Arrow) Canadian property stamp just behind, as well as on the left side of the frame at the knuckle just behind the hammer. The smooth walnut grips are numbered on the interior: 94347. The C arrow under Made in USA is the Canadian ownership mark, C Broad Arrow. On the butt strap are found the serial number, the initials WB for the US Army ordnance officer Col. Waldemar Broberg, the US flaming bomb ordnance mark and the P proof stamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Between early 1941 and 1945, the United States leased or lent materiel to belligerents who could not afford to pay cash, and it all seems to have been marked “United States Property” or “U.S. Property”, which this piece is not. Moreover, this piece has another country’s property mark, which would be inconsistent with continuing United States ownership. It was probably sold by the United States directly to Canada.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Presumably it passed through the US Army inspection process since it has the US Army Ordnance bomb mark; US Army Ordnance inspector Col. Waldemar's initials and the P proof mark before being shipped to Canada. I've ordered the S&W Letter of Authenticity so that will provide more information; perhaps initially shipped to Springfield Armory MA? Once it reached Canada and was accepted by the Canadian Army it received the Canadian Broad Arrow property marks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you post this on the Smith & Wesson Forum there are guys there who have extensive data bases on serial number shipment dates. Looking at the serial number and American ordnance inspection markings its a Lend Lease gun which has had Canadian ownership marks applied, which in theory should not have been done.

Regards

AlanD

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
So thus revolver was circa 1939-40 production? Are there any S&W serial number lookups or listing to consult to see when this pistol was made?
I believe yours is a late '41 or early '42. IIRC the V-prefix started in February '42? Hence the potential "post-Pearl (Harbor), pre-Victory".

I checked mine out, it's slightly earlier, I'll post it tomorrow/later. I thought mine was a "Pre/Post" just based on other people's threads in the S&W Forum (as @AlanD suggests you check out). But I've never posted there & never gotten a letter.

So I'm counting on you for some insight!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.